Cam tensioner seal/plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam tensioner seal/plug

After I wrecked my bike I am getting a leak from the tensioner seal. It's popping out too. I pushed the seal in and it seemed fine. After running the bike I left and came back and noticed an oil drip. The plug had popped out.

Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance,
    -Dennis

Sorry for being such a noob. I searched and found out that this is a fairly common problem. RTV seems to do the trick. I have no idea what RTV or how/where to apply it in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by DenzComp
      I have no idea what RTV or how/where to apply it in my case.
      RTV is a silicone and can be found at any hardware store.

Comment

So should I just coat the back of the plug with that stuff...pop the plug back in...then cover the plug too?

Seems like the best idea...don't know if there are all ready tested methods.

Comment

Get some Brakleen and first clean the oil out of the hole. The silicone won't stick and seal if there's oil residue about.
          Don't coat the back of the plug... coat the sides of it, and yes, a little on the front is nice, too.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

black is beautiful

I used the black Hi-Temp RTV silicone (Permatex) and a new plug . There's a gasket and a o-ring for slightly different leaks . Gasket is for tensioner housing to head and the o-ring is for the tensioner lock bolt .
            XJ1100K
            Avon rubber
            MikesXS black coils
            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
            MikesXS front master
            Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
            Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
            Progressive fork springs
            CIBIE headlight reflector
            YICS Eliminator

Comment

I'm pretty sure my problem in the plug. It keeps popping out. There is more than one type of RTV? Good thing you brought that up...I'm going to go pick some up tomorrow. Hi-Temp seems to work the best?

Comment

If your crankcase breather hose is plugged, pressure will build and if it doesn't blow out of the tensioner, your engine will weep oil elsewhere, like the camcover or the halfmoons...
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Sorry again for not having much knowledge on this bike...where is the crankcase breather hose? I'll check that tomorrow first thing.

Comment

"Good point, Skids"

On the right side off the engine, there is a sort of rectangular/octangular cap(above the tranny section). It has a hose about the diameter of your finger running from it to the airbox. This is your crank breather system. Pull the hose and make sure it isn't plugged. You can also remove that cap/plate and see if there's gunk in there, too.
                    Too much oil in the crank can also cause an over pressure.

Comment

It's gotta be clogged.

I noticed a tiny bit of oil weeping out by the half moons. I thought I might have just knocked the engine around a bit when I wrecked.

If that's the problem should the plug stay in by itself or should I still seal it up?

Comment

It's gotta be clogged.
                        Not neccesarily....
                        My breather wasn't clogged, but my plug still leaked and pushed out. Granted, I was going cross country at a steady high rate of speed so there was a lot more pressure, but then again, these are old bikes and those are old rubber plugs.
                        Plug should stay in by itself, but one should always uses some form of sealer when installing plugs so they don't leak.
                        I had forgotten that you had dumped the bike over. You may want to remove that plate anyway... A bike on it's side can get oil up into the breather system. That area under the plate is for trapping misty oil particles and allowing that oil to drain back into the crank while allowing the crank to breathe into the airbox. You may previously have had a lot of gunk in there, and with the tip over, added more oil to the gunk.
                        Take a look, but I'll bet it's just an old, worn out tensioner plug causing the problem.
                        Half moons can leak with age, too.

Comment

Hey Dennis,

If the cam plug has popped out, would be best to SEAL it back in. As for the half moons, they are rubber coated, harden, crack etc. You can seal them with Yamabond taking the cover off, pulling them out and putting it around the edges, or get replacements from Partsnmore.com fairly cheaply!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham
                          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                          History shows again and again,
                          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm really learning A LOT. I want to get out and ride again...it seems more and more tings keep popping up. The most recent being the stator...I'm going to do some tests tomorrow when I have a gauge..I'm about 90% sure its the stator.

So I have to get a stator and fix this plug problem and I should be good to go...knock on wood.

Comment

Just went out and opened the Crankcase Breather. First time it's ever been opened in the old girls life...that's for sure. I thought I snapped the first one...loud POP then it was finger loose. TORQUED! It was EXTREMELY CLEAN in there. I unhooked the hose from the bottom and didn't feel like dealing with unhooking it from the top so I just blew. Not a thing blocking the tube at all.

So I guess it's just leaking.

I'll pick up some RTV later.

Comment

Working...
                              X