first day of class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first day of class

Friday night was the first day of my 2 1/2 day riding course. Friday night was spent in the classroom 3 hours. Not bad. Today was sooooooooooo long and HOT. Started out at 7:30am on the course learning to handle the bike, we were useing 250cc bikes. Talk about a long hot day some of it spent riding which wasnt bad because of the air movement but standing around waiting for them to put up the new course was the worst, jeans, long sleve shirt, helmet, sungalsses and gloves were mandatory dress code. That lasted till noon. Hour break for lunch then 3 more hours of classroom time with the written test at the end. I scored a 98%. Tomorrow is more riding lessons then a test on the course. Temp tomorrow is going to be around 95. yuck. On the plus side after its all said and done they give you a card to take to the DMV to get you motorcycle lic. Im starting not to like my half helmet so much. Thinking a full face one would be better.

jason

After taking on too many large bugs in the face, I have switched to a full face helmet. If I ever put my fairing back on or install a windshield I will probably use the half helmet.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

"Bounce your chin on the pavement once of twice and you'll think differently."

Rule of thumb in deciding to wave or not to a rider approaching from the other direction.
      If he has a full face helmet I wave.
      If it's an open faced one, that means it's a harley rider and I don't wave.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: "Bounce your chin on the pavement once of twice and you'll think differently."

Originally posted by prometheus578
        Rule of thumb in deciding to wave or not to a rider approaching from the other direction.
        If he has a full face helmet I wave.
        you may not be thinkin toomuch afta that bounce...
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

"I wasn't thinking too much even before the bounce."

Get a full-faced helmet.
          ( No one wants to look at you, anyway.)

Comment

i rather look like some over protected dork, not like some posers, and save my hide for the 99 percent of life off the xs, than to bounce once and wish i looked like a dork and to end up tampering with the other 99 percent of life.
            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

"I've done a lot of crash estimates over the years..."

It's not hard to tell which owners wore full helmets or half helmets...
              It's as plain as the scabbed nose on their face.

Comment

Re: "Bounce your chin on the pavement once of twice and you'll think differently."

Originally posted by prometheus578
                You mean you cant tell the difference between a HD and a XS11? WOW

Comment

He means as you pass on opposite sides of the road.

I had no idea this existed. It boggles my mind really. I'm new to riding and while out with my dad(Harley) EVERYONE on a bike who passes does the wave. It isn't really a "wave" like a parade wave. Low arm hang type of deal.

I don't get why everyone who rides a bike thinks I want to wave to them like I'm friends with them.

Yeah I get it we both ride, but I don't wave to every car I pass when I'm driving....

Comment

Was it worth it

How was the class? I am thinking of taking the course this weekend. It is also a Friday thru Sunday course.
                    '82 XJ1100
                    '07 Harley Nightster (SWMBO'S)

Comment

Courses are good.
                      Take it.

Comment

The Wave

I see Jeep drivers all seem to wave to each other as well.

Its like saying "Yeah, we be cool"

As for the classes, I took the Pa motorcycle riders safety course and as a new rider thought it was a great way to start riding. There were also several in the class that had been riding a long time, even one of them was surprised upon learning about counter steering.
                        Last edited by rman; 07-30-2007, 10:17 AM.
                        Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
                        Owner of:
                        1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
                        140 mains
                        45 pilot jets
                        Floats at 24mm
                        Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

I am going to sign up tonight.
                          '82 XJ1100
                          '07 Harley Nightster (SWMBO'S)

Comment

I reccomend the class , took it last summer .....
                            bet I would of been off the road without this experiance !!!
                            Especially corners , ,,,

bob
                            1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
                            1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

But what if your head melts?

Good for Bikenutt that he is taking a rider's course. There were none back when I got my license but both my boys had one as their 16th birthday present.
                              About helmet styles; in (usually) temperate Saskatchewan I wear a fullface but on a recent tour of Montana in 100ºF temperatures wearing the fullface my head felt as though it were melting. I took advantage of Montana's lack of a helmet law to switch to my wife's 3/4 helmet and she switched to a bandanna. (I ride a sidecar rig. Sidecar rigs are FAR safer than solos). Solo, no way would I do this but must say, when riding in extremes of heat fullface + heatstroke may not be safer than open face and a clearer mind.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X