loud engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loud engine noise

im a new owner of an xs1100... pretty sure its a 79 or 80. anyways, i just took it for a drive around the block today without my helmet on for the first time and noticed the engine noise was really loud. it was kindof like a hissing noise. With the helmet on most of it was muted out so thats why i just noticed it today. Are these just noisy beasts? or is it something wrong? thanks.
    1979 Eleven Special - 26,000 miles.

If you have a manual, use it to adjust your cam chain. If it is adjusted... then yes, these are kind of noisy engines. Some types of oils quiet people's bikes down some, but every bike seems to like a different type. If you REALLY want to get freaked out, try riding with a fairing and no helmet... I thought it was eating itself alive the first few times!

Welcome to the forum.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Hey there FCB,

As Tod has stated, these machines are XSive in many ways including their noise, but there are some noises you don't want to hear. If you've just gotten it, then you'll want to inspect it and change certain fluids in the Middle Gear box, the Final Drive, as well as the main engine, plus brake fluid, fork fluid.

There's lots of info available on this site, like a VIN# reference list so you can BE SURE of what year/model it is, don't rely on the registration/title! There were changes throughout the years, so you'll need to have your year/model description in your profile or signature for future tech questions/requests! Scroll down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE...not just the links in the left column, and peruse the tech tips, MISC, Links sections for stuff, like in the Links, Page 3, you can D/L a PDF copy of the 81H/SH owner's manual, will help you find basic things like where's the middle drive, how to drain it, etc.! It won't match everything on your year model, but the engines and main components are essentially the same!

There's a tech tip on the PROPER way to adjust the cam chain tensioner, don't try it UNTIL you read it, or you can cause severe and permanent damage to your new machine!

The tranny is also very clunky, friend riding behind me thought he was going to see tranny parts falling out while we rode!
      Again, welcome, enjoy the ride!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well... PERMANENT may be a bit strong....

Nasty, annoying, expensive, yes... but anything can be fixed!
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Mine hisses too. I have a '78. Only at higher speeds it seems. If I squeeze the tank tighter with my legs it muffles it. Try going down the road and then bowing you legs outward. That's when I REALLY notice it.

Comment

thanks for the info. I am not new to vehicle forums, as i have been a member of taurusclub.com for a few years now. i saw the pdf, and will check those fluids like you said. This bike is pretty sweet i have to tell you what. I am only 19 and this is my first ride, and pretty glad that i bought this one. Glad you guys are here to help.

--Darrek

Comment

I'm 20...and I love it. It's my 1st bike too. Well...it was my dad's...after I wrecked it he told me that if I bought the parts to put it back together I could have it. So I did.

I think I have about 300 bucks into it.

The crash wasn't my fault...but a word of advice...respect this bike. Just because they're almost 30 years old means nothing. They're still rockets.

Comment

If you have individual pod filters you could be hearing the air being sucked into the carbs.
                Could also be a loose header or burnt exhaust gasket.
                May be a leaking vacuum line or manifold vacuum port plug. Not too many things can hiss.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I think I'd describe the sound the same.. kind of a hiss. But I think it's just the cam chain I am hearing since it quieted down a bit after adjustment.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

The engine of the XS1100 is not in my opinion noisy given it's size. It just so happens to be that your pretty much SITTING RIGHT ON TOP OF IT LOL LOL and what better place to be eh? Check your cam chain tension if you think it a little too noisy. I adjust my cam chain more often then is suggested and that keeps the chain "hissing" noise to a minimum. I only worry about noise that is not rheumatic so to speak.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

"Boo... hiss..."

TRBIG,
                      Maybe it's the voices in your head hissing at you.

Comment

That may be true.... but WE never get lonely! Sounds like you may know all about that.. lol.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

"My voices don't hiss at me..."

They all tell me how great I am, and of course, who am I to disagree?

Comment

pics of the new bike

a couple of pictures...

Comment

Hey ... that's in GREAT shape isn't it. Nice bike
                              OH check your carb jetting ... Even cheap chrome shouldn't be that blue!!
                              Rob
                              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                              1978 XS500E
                              1979 XS1100F Restored
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              1981 Suzuki GS1100
                              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                              X