Hot Rear Brake Disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rear Brake Disk

I believe that I have a problem with some brake drag on the rear disk. It seems to release fine when I have the bike on the center stand with only a tiny bit of drag so I think the spooge hole is OK at this time. I have also tried adjusting the linkage to ensure that there is no residual pressure on the master cylinder which would cause it to drag. As I ride, I make sure that my foot is not on the brake pedal when it shouldn't be. I use the rear brake sparingly and am heavy on the front typically for stopping. The front disks are barely warm.

The heat is sufficient on the rear to sizzle moisture. If you have wet fingers and touch the disk, you can hear it sizzle. This has been going on for a long time now (years) but I really don't feel the drag, but obviously it must be holding back the "78" XS1100E to a certain degree since it takes energy to heat the disk. The disk seems to be well centered in the caliper assembly.

Does anyone have any good ideas as to the likely cause of the problem and its solution? Also, I was wondering if this could be normal. What are other riders' experience in this area?

By
    XSFLYER1
    Ken Flyer

if it doesn't spooge

if the "spooge" hole is truly clean (which sounds like it is NOT) then you should also remove caliper, take out the piston and clean it, if it is pitted get a new one. Also take out the piston O-RING and clean it and it's recess inside the housing with a 90 degree pick. This area gets alot of white powdery crap (aluminum oxide) that builds up, putting pressure on the O-ring causing the piston not to move freely and bind.....JAT
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I agree with Chop, rebuild the rear caliper. Do not forget to lube, with HIGH TEMP GREASE, the "pins" on the rear caliper. These are the two bolts that are supposed to allow the caliper to slide back and forth. If they are dry and sticking, so is the caliper. I use synthetic grease for everything on my bike. don't have any problems, and things work smoothly.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
      X