Rear Brakes!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Brakes!!!!

Thanks for your guys response to adjusting my timing chain, now the next issue would be my rear brakes...I have none! I took off the cover to the rear resevorior and it was a little low so I haded some brake fluid, but there is zero pressure when pressing the rear brake lever. I can't pump them up nothing. Ideas??? Thanks

Sounds like rebuild time to me - is it leaking any fluid at the master cylinder? Making any odd squishy sounds? If there are no longer primed, sometimes it's hard to get fluid in the lines and the only easy was is with a vacuum pump.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Doesn't leak and doesn't make any noises when you press on it.

Comment

check out this thread >>>http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=rear+master

Could be you have simular problem

mro

Comment

Caliper piston

may be frozen. Pull the caliper and see if it slides. I'll bet its frozen. Get a rear caliper rebuild kit. While is off, you might as well paint the caliper and support bracket.

While you are at it, you might as well rebuild the rear master cylinder too.

And, while you are at it, you might as well replace the rubber lines with braided stainless steel lines.

Before you put it all back together, go ahead and get some new pads if they look cruddy. I mean while you are at it and all.

That'll git 'er done!

I say all this because a while back, when I was "just" replacing my rear tire, I ended up replacing all the rear bearings and seals, rebuilding the final drive, painting the swing arm, replacing the the pivot bearings and seals and replacing the middle gear boot.

I don't want to be the only guy who goes to fix just one thing, and ends up doing a whole bunch of other stuff!

Also, did you see the guy on ebay who is resurfacing our discs? Can that be done safely?

outta hobby money again.....

greg
          Gone but never Forgotten:
          1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
          2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
          2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Your version...

outta hobby money again.....

Lynda's version...

outta HUBBY money again.....

SWMBO has put the Skipmeister on a fund freeze!

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

LOL

Just as long as she doesn't put me on the "other" freeze!

greg
              Gone but never Forgotten:
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
              2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
              2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

If the rear caliper was frozen wouldn't there still be pressure at the brake lever?

Comment

Originally posted by MIDWAYAUTO
                  If the rear caliper was frozen wouldn't there still be pressure at the brake lever?
                  Not necessarily. There would only be pressure if the system is still full of fluid. If it has gone dry, or has a lot of air, you won't get a pressure buildup, whether or not the piston was frozen in the caliper.

The rear brake system is fairly easy to work on off of the bike. You can take it all offr, clean it up, and even bleed it before reinstalling.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
                  X