Raising Rear Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising Rear Shocks

ARE rear shocks on the xs1100 special are they mechanical adjustment or air adjustment.

BLACKDAWG
    BLACKDAWG

Mechanical. Preload adjustment cam at bottom. Damping adjustment at top. Make sure that both shocks are set the same. If damping adjustment is set between numbers it will be the hardest setting (4). I recently replaced my worn out stock shocks with a set from JC Whitney. I was given a choice of stock length or 3/4" longer. I chose the long set. I'm running them with the preload set on the next to softest setting (I weigh 150 lbs.). Handling is much improved with the longer shocks...steering is now totally neutral at all angles of lean and steering effort is less due to less rake and trail with the rear end raised. My pipes don't ground in the corners anymore either.
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

raising rear schocks

Do you have a picture of the adjustment places ?
      BLACKDAWG

Comment

Hey there Dawg,

IF you'll follow This Link in the links section, and see my post and included link you can D/L a copy of the OWNER's Manual for the 81H/SH which is very similar to your 80, and it will show you lots of things, like shock adjustments, etc! It's in PDF format, about 6MB!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X