filter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter help

I saw a xs1100 on ebay that had K&N filters on it. I looked at the companies website and WOW so many different ones. Anyone know which ones i need?

jason

Did you find THIS PAGE on their site thru their search function once you go to the MOTORCYCLES page from the link at the bottom of their main page??

These are the 4 Indy filters/pods #RC-0984 !

But, once you get over the sticker shock, you may want to get some generics, like these from Partsnmore, I'm showing the Oval ones because they are supposed to have a better mount without that restricting lip on the ROUND ones!?

OVAL CHROME CAP AIR FILTER
    54mm Fits XS1100 (79-81)

$12.00US EA.

Part#15-0035

T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

interesting filters

I found this site for legends racing and they list some unique filters for the FJ11/1200 engine. I believe spacing and size are a match for the XS/XJ1100 also. I'm going to order two and post results here. Price is right...$40 for a set of two.

http://store.600racing.com/site/prod...AEA69C4BF104C4
      Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Re: interesting filters

Lets see...40.00 for two equals 80.00 a set. 12.00 each means 48.00 a set. You KNOW which ones I would buy! (assuming they are all washable).

Originally posted by Guy_b_g
        I found this site for legends racing and they list some unique filters for the FJ11/1200 engine. I believe spacing and size are a match for the XS/XJ1100 also. I'm going to order two and post results here. Price is right...$40 for a set of two.

http://store.600racing.com/site/prod...AEA69C4BF104C4
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

So if i put on the new filters do i have to re-jet the carbs?

Comment

Math

I'm not in need of a math lesson...if you look at the filters, they each cover 2 carbs. At $20 each that's $40.
            Guy

'78E

Comment

Checkout down

I tried to purchase the filters I mentioned in my first post but was unable to get to checkout on the site, so I sent them an email and received this reply:

Thanks for the email. The purchasing part of our website is currently down.
              If you call 888-882-8722 and ask to speak to Rob or myself, we will be able
              to take care of you.
              Thanks,
              Jason

I will call them tomorrow and make the purchase, and post the results, as well as the level of customer service they provide.
              Guy

'78E

Comment

image of filters

Here is an image of the filters:

**Fixed Photo....not a great photo though! T.C.**
                Guy

'78E

Comment

Originally posted by bikenutt1980
                  So if i put on the new filters do i have to re-jet the carbs?
                  Hey Jason,

Can't tell if your handle indicates the year of your bike, or your birth year?? You may want to edit your profile to include the YEAR and MODEL of your XS1100, standard/special?? Makes a difference in tech requests and suggestions!

The indy filters do breath a lot better, and CAN cause the bike to run a bit lean, so it's usually recommended to change your jets 1 or 2 sizes larger with Indy filters! YMMV!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ok fixed it. and yes its the year of my bike. My b-day is 1969.

Comment

Re: image of filters

O.I.C. One good thing over individual ones is that it would take two loose clamps to lose a filter.

Originally posted by Guy_b_g
                      Here is an image of the filters:
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

OK..

I called the number I listed in the earlier post and ordered my 2 filters. They are oiled foam type with coiled springs inside which allow them to hold their shape (very similar to UNI). They have a "Legends" logo on them which can be hidden by simply mounting them upside down. They are an oval dome shape on the foam (side away from the boots)...might be a nice look on the XS.

Rob (the salesperson) said that his customers are mainly legends racers. The legends series racecars use FJ1200 motors which are supposed to have the same carb spacing as the XS1100, and similar if not exactly the same inlet bore size on the carbs.

He said he sells slightly more of these than the 2 carb K&N setup, and that on the dyno they pull slightly higher numbers than the K&N. The disadvantage is that they are somehat less durable, but in the relatively tame world of the streetbike they should last as long as any oiled foam filter.

There are instructions on their web site not to tighten the band clamps beyond 4 lb/ft to avoid tearing/cutting the boots.

They also sell prefilters to keep larger dust particles off of the foam....but at about $17.00 each I didn't order the prefilters at this time.

Rob was very helpful and excited at the possibility of selling these to XS11 owners....there are a lot more of us than legends racers I should receive my filters about next Wednesday....more to come.....
                        Guy

'78E

Comment

Those do look REAL nice. If I didn't already have good looking filters I would be down for sure.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Legends filters

I got my filters from 600racing.com today and put them on a set of carbs I am cleaning and rejetting. They're nicely made and fit well, the foam is substantial, and they appear to be more compact than the ones K&N makes for the legends series.

They can be mounted upside down so that the "Legends" logo cant be seen, but there is a small seam on the bottom where the foam was molded (it can be carefully trimmed away with a razor).

They are basically exactly like the UNI pod filters in design except that they are a dual-carb filter design. There is no internal ridge to interfere with airflow or slide vacuum.

Overall I like them and I believe they are well worth the $40.

I'll post again in a few months when I see how well the rubber and foam are holding up.
                            Guy

'78E

Comment

Working...
                            X