Idle Problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle Problems.

I just got my bike all back together after wrecking it a few weeks back.

I just had my headers repaired and haven't even taken her down the road yet.

My only apparent problem at the moment is that the old girl doesn't want to idle.

One minute it will idle fine..then the next it'll die.

It still hasn't ran all that much since it was dumped. Maybe it just needs to be ran a bit more.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Dennis

The bump may have loosened up crud in the tank and carbs. Put a little seafoam in it and go for decent ride and see how it is afterwards.

I've found that if mine sits too long without running it takes about 15 or 20 miles to be right again. Will idle and run like crap until then.

How's that for a prescription? Hell, take two and call me in the morning!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I went out and started her up again...it will only idle at full choke...at full choke it idles right around 2K.

It is fairly low on gas too...

Comment

"I don't get out much anymore..."

Took the bike out yesterday for the second time this year to go get smokes.
        Didn't want to idle... ran like it was only runnin' on three cylinders, popped on decelleration... the whole works.
        Uhmm... reached down and flipped the petcocks to reserve.
        Gee, the problem went away!
        Being low on gas sometimes makes a difference.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Yup....that was it.

Rode it up and down my road....had all power back...the pinched pipes were the problem for sure.

She was acting almost identical to the way yours was...decided to ride up and get gas...about half way home after getting gas I heard one last pop and she was back to being 100%.

Comment

That Prom is some kind of damn genius!
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

It was 98% pinched header pipes

2% low gas.

Comment

Working...
              X