stumble issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stumble issue

Hey all, been gone for a while, and bike was in storage for a year or so, but I am back riding again. First problem is the clutch. It was froze up when I first started it, and finally it popped loose. Now when I decelerate toward a stop sign or light, I can pull in the clutch and it takes a full second or two to release the motor.

Second problem is above 4,000 rpm on the highway. If I roll into it hard, it stutters and stumbles. If I drop from 5th to 3rd and hammer it, it stutters and then jumps and runs great from 70 to 110 or so(through 4th and 5th), then I let off.

I have 4 into 1 exhaust, and pod filters, and I jetted it according to the tips and tricks guide. I also set the vacuum as high as I could attain across all 4 carbs using a carb stick. Thanks for any help.

Justin

Just found my notes from the carb re-build. I have a 140 main jet and a 42.5 pilot jet in all 4 carbs, and the plugs look black and sooty after a 30 minute ride.

Comment

You are running rich. I would check the float level in the carbs. Sometimes things can change while sitting, as in crud. What year is the bike? mid 80 and up, you have "O" rings to seal the seat in the carbs, and they could be leaking.
      The clutch should clear itself out soon. Do an oil change, run it for another 1000 miles, and do one more oil change. That should get most of the crud out of the clutch area.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

"Sitting idle and useless..."

From sitting, over time, the oil is squeezed out from between the clutch plates, hence they stick together. (varnish, too)
        Even with the clutch disengaged, there's not much room between the plates, but as Ray stated, with a little more running, more oil will get back in there and things should get back to normal. Do the oil change, too.
        Old fuel, that doesn't want to burn well, can also foul plugs. Put in fresh fuel and fresh plugs and see how it goes.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Sounds good guys, and Ray, my bike is a 79. I will re-check the float level this weekend, and try again. I guess I will just ride the crap out of it to see if the clutch issues go away.

BTW, I just installed brand new plugs (6es ngk's) and haven't pulled them to see the burn pattern yet.

Comment

Hey Grimace,

Folks have had good luck with putting some MMO in the oil and running it once it's warmed up for a few minutes WITHOUT load, it removes varnish well, and will clean up those sticky plates well, just pull on the clutch lever a bit to get the oil in between the plates. After 5 minutes of idling, then drain the oil, and refill and it should help loosen them up nicely!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I used some Seafoam per the instruction in the crankcase the last two oil changes. Cleaned a bunch of crud out of the engine and the cluch is much easier to use. Not as grabby.
              78E ... Gone but not forgotten
              2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Working...
              X