xj exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xj exhaust

will a stock 81 xj exhaust fit an xs 1100?
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

Probably not...Have never seen an 81 xj.
    82 xj might.
    Seems to be some issues tho with rear mount, maybe a center stand issue and flange studs.

Not sure when I read about someone putting a special exhaust on to a standard (may have been last year) and they didn't seem to have to much trouble. Muffler/foot brackets are different between specials/standards and exhaust sweeps up a little on the specials. Not something I've done so can not say for sure what you may encounter.

mro

Comment

Comment

There is a guy in Ohio who is parting out an XJ. I bet he is looking at the manufacture date, not the model year. Has a bunch of parts listed for an '81 XJ.

Again, headers for an XJ will fit an XS. Problem is with muffler mounts, which are different for the XJ...they mount to the rear footpeg bracket (aka rear set) and this is farther forward than the XS mounts. If you are into minor fabrication of muffler mounts then you can probably make it work. However, it is not a bolt-up-and-go swap.

There has been some discussion of the studs used for the exhaust flange nuts. There is - apparently - some difference in the length used on various XS / XJ models. A few people have reported they needed to put longer studs in place to fit some exhausts. I don't know if this applies to an OEM XJ system on an XS, don't think so, but it could be a problem point.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X