carb still truoble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb still truoble

I got the bike running again very hard to start.IN the end i had to spray carb cleaner down the throught of each barrel.Then it fired right up.I turned the tank around set the air/fuel screws first at two turns then one and a half ajusted the idle.IT will run at a idle still popping a little bit.I took it for a test ride in the rain around the block.Went through all the gears .Needs air in the front tire didn"t run bad.I do a oil change this week and synch the carbs and have this beast up and running next weekend.
    BLACKDAWG

A little popping at idle could mean that one of the carbs is a bit too rich and not firing all of the fuel. This can be because it either is leaking fuel past the float valve (aka needle and seat), the synch is off, the float level is too high on that carb, or the pilot screw is out too far. Once it will idle without the choke, check to see if one (or more) pipe is not as hot as the other three.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

CARB STILL TROUBLE

How about the hard starting.IT takes a shot of carb cleaner to bring it to life.AFTER its run for a while it idles and pops a bit.I want to make a synch tool and get it set up.I will still play with mixture needles.Someone said, set them a point where the idle drops of a bit. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED GUYS.

BLACKDAWG
      BLACKDAWG

Comment

Re: CARB STILL TROUBLE

Originally posted by blackdawg
        How about the hard starting.IT takes a shot of carb cleaner to bring it to life.
        This means the enrichener (choke) circuit is not working. Your carbs are still dirty. Pay special attention to the small orifice in the bottom of the float bowls - it controls fuel flow to the enrichener circuit. Check out this thread .
        Ken Talbot

Comment

CARB TROUBLE

KEN

can i just keep running the carbs and maybe it will correct itself.I sure hope i don"t have to tear these down again.Any ideas ,how about running some seafoam through the system.

blackdawg
          BLACKDAWG

Comment

Hey Dawg,

You don't have to tear down the carbs, just take the bowls off, and follow the info in the thread/link that Ken provided to clean out the float bowl and the enrichener jet tunnel....sea foam probably won't do it, usually takes a small piece of wire to mechanically clean the tunnel and jet of gunk/gum/varnish.

Also, if you installed new gaskets, make sure the ports are not covered that provide venting for the tunnel.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: CARB TROUBLE

Taking the bowls off is not such a big deal.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: CARB TROUBLE

Originally posted by blackdawg
                can i just keep running the carbs and maybe it will correct itself.I
                Sorry, blackdwg, it will not correct itself, but like skids and TC say, just cleaning the orifice in the bowls is not such a big deal. Do that for now and ride it a bit.

Later, you're going to realize that those other little problems, like a bit of popping, or maybe a bit of a flat spot you will notice later, are going to mean at least one more thorough tear-down and cleaning. Don't get discouraged! Each time you do it, your bike will run a bit bettter, and you'll realize all this aggravation really is worth it.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

carb trouble

i will set the carbs up first before i try and pull the bowls off.ITS only hard starting when it hasn"t been run for a while.
                  BLACKDAWG

Comment

carb trouble

can i use a compression tester if i put a adapter on the end.WILL this work the same as a vacuam guage to balance the carbs
                    BLACKDAWG

Comment

Hi Dawg,

NO!

Vacuum is SUCK.

Compression is BLOW.

You need a different gauge.

You also need to take the bowls off.

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Working...