GAS out the bottom of the air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GAS out the bottom of the air box

Tonight, a new problem...motor started running bogged down in a major way and I have a STEADY stream of fuel coming out the ?relief hole? in the bottom of the air box when the engine is running...I mean it is POURING out of there.

I do not even know where to begin to look for the solution to this problem

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    "FAITH...Dare to take the journey that begins where the path ends..."

1981 XS1100 Special...Zoom! Zoom!
    1982 XJ650 Maxim...almost out the door...

You have one or more float valves stuck open. This could be from tank debris or it could be from a float hanging up on the side of a floatbowl. If it just came on, I would bet on debris. Time to yank the carbs and clean them.

Also, be sure to check your oil level in case you had fuel flood back through a carb, past a piston, and down into the crankcase. That could be very hard on your main bearings.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

welcome to our carb madness
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

CARB HELP!!

WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO REMOVE THE CARBS FROM THE BIKE. IF YOU HAVE NO EXPIERENCE WITH CARBS MAYBE YOU SHOULD SEND THEM OUT TO BE REBUILT. I KNOW OF A LOCAL BIKE SHOP THAT HAS AN ULTRASONIC CLEANER AND THAT DOES A GREAT JOB CLEANING UP SCANKY CARBS. THEN ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS REINSTALL THE CARBS AND YOU WILL BE RIDING AGAIN. CHECKOUT HIS HOME PAGE FOR MORE INFO FISCHER VINTAGE CYCLES lOOK ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE PAGE FOR THE LINK TO CARB REBUILDS. GOOD GUY TO DEAL WITH!!
        Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

I'm about 1 1/2 hr from you. I've done many of these carbs. If you can't get em workiing. jesrbrd@zylus.com
          79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Now THAT is a hell of an offer!

Originally posted by red bandit
            I'm about 1 1/2 hr from you. I've done many of these carbs. If you can't get em workiing. jesrbrd@zylus.com
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

carb problem

It sounds to me you should also check the tank valves. I know the standard valves are different the the specials but they are both controled the same way, and neither have a positive shutoff.If the diaphram spring gets weak the valves will leak,from either gravity or expanion pressure. and that can over power the bowl floats.and run out of the carbs and into the air box. A word of warning it you are running a K&N filter, the rubber gasket nade onto the bottom will react to gas and shrink up and harden, then when you remove it for cleaning it won't go back on. and have to be replaced.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

Sending them to a shop other than maybe merriam cycle will be a waste of money. Trust me...

Just send your carbs to red bandit. I've dealt with him. He knows these carbs.

Comment

float valves stuck open

Ken, you mentioned I have one or more float valves stuck open. This did come on suddenly. I rode the bike to and from work on Friday, parked it that evening and got on to ride it Saturday night and discovered my issue.
                  At the risk of sounding foolish, would tapping on any of the carbs help loosen a "stuck" float valve?

RED BANDIT - I appreciate the offer and will definitely be in touch if things do not go well this evening. I printed off a couple of the tech tips on this process of disassembling and cleaning and hope maybe I can do it tonight. Hopefully it only looks worse on paper than it actually is!

I am trying to get it back up and running in time for the weekend. Meeting the family up in Oscoda.

Is it sufficient to simply tear down and clean the carbs, or do I have to officially "rebuild" them with a kit?

Comment

Re: float valves stuck open

Originally posted by qbrainerd2
                    would tapping on any of the carbs help loosen a "stuck" float valve?
                    This might free a sticking float, but it probably would not dislodge a piece of spooge stuck between the needle and seat of a float valve. Try it anyways. If the leak stops, it clarifies where you want to look. Either way, the carbs have to come off for a proper fix.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

tank debris

as far as the debris goes, should any of the fuel lines have in-line filters on them? My XJ650 had one on the main line, but I noticed there aren't any on any of the lines off either petcock on the XS11...just curious

I will try tapping on them to see if I can at least get it set temporarily...

Comment

There is a small screen above each petcock inside the tank. It keeps out some debris if it is in good condition and if the tank is in pretty good shape too. That's all I have on Tsunami and on SWMBO's H, and I've never had a problem this way. However, with tanks in poorer condition, a lot of guys have gone to in-line filters on each line from their petcocks.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

From wa4, " A word of warning it you are running a K&N filter, the rubber gasket nade onto the bottom will react to gas and shrink up and harden, then when you remove it for cleaning it won't go back on. and have to be replaced."

wa4, the stiff K&N filter dramas, lay the filter in the hot sun for a while, it'll soften and slide straight back in, the other option, heat it in an oven for a few short minutes

Comment

Working...
                          X