New springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New springs

Just got my new progressive springs, went and had a look for a tech tip on how to install but couldn't find one. Did a search on the subject and everyone says it's not too bad of a job but I have a couple of questions.
    1. Do I need any special tools?
    2. Can I dispense with the air after - that's what I assume the valve is for?
    3. Do I have to replace the fork seals?

Thanks
    Simon
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Hey Simon,

Let's keep this simple shall we!

Jack and piece of wood for engine to raise front wheel off ground.
    IF you haven't changed the fork fluid, good time to do so, get some new fluid.
    IF changing fluid, remove drain plug, have large bowl and have 2nd person hold up over hole as you push down GENTLY on forks to pump fluid out, will squirt very far very easily otherwise!

Suggested to loosen upper TT clamping bolts near fork cap, then use cresent wrench to loosen caps, may still be under a little spring pressure, so be careful when nearing final threads.

May need to remove bars to allow access to caps?

Then push down on fork to slide spring up to grab, remove!

Replace drain plug/screw, add required fluid, slide new spring in,
    replace cap careful not to cross thread, tighten caps and then TT clamping bolts, DONE!
    T.C.

Folks have reported NOT needing to use air after putting in new springs, YMMV depending on bike/front end load,type of ride you want, etc.!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I usually don't run air in the forks, even stock.

The 'normal' range on my VT1100 was 0-5psi. I usually ran at 0.

I do like to run a few psi in the Virago, it's a smaller bike and needs a bit of help, but the one I have right now I can't put air in as the PO bunged up the air valves. One day I may get around to fixing it.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
      X