Repairing an XS1100 Kill Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing an XS1100 Kill Switch

I'd like to fix my kill switch. Currently it only rocks to the middle and the right. The bike will crank in either position. Until my manual gets here could somebody lend some information on repairing it? Thanks.
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Re: Repairing an XS1100 Kill Switch

I can tell you that there is a little ball and a spring in there...

Originally posted by manshack_one
    I'd like to fix my kill switch. Currently it only rocks to the middle and the right. The bike will crank in either position. Until my manual gets here could somebody lend some information on repairing it? Thanks.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I fixed mone by connecting the two wires together and now that eliminated any problems I had with it. I consider it a Ralph Nader novilty and never used it.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

If I had more experience with the bike I might do that too. But for now I'm going to play it safe.

I took the control apart and the little plastic pieces just crumbled apart. I'm going to the bike shop sometime soon and pulling one off a junker to make due. In the meantime I suppose I could wire them together as long as the bike doesn't come off the center stand until it's fixed.

Comment

The kill switch is really a useless item, on a street bike. Usually, they are never used, until one day you try it, just to see, and then youcan't get the bike to start!

BTW, I believe the bike will crank whether the switch is on or off, just won't start.

Keep an eye on Ebay for the entire switch unit.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

So, If I connect the two red/white wires together then it will always be on RUN and should be able to start?

Comment

Yes, it just bypasses the kill switch.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
              X