Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need 79xs11 carb help

Hello,
    My 79 xs11 is acting up...I have fuel leaking out of the #3 Carb...I looked at the search place and found some good advice,,but I sprayed some WD 40 on the intakes and all 4 were bubleing and I am wondering how much and availability of the intakes..my bike has 12k miles and garaged kept..but seems like the intakes are probably shot.... any body in east Tx want to help me rebuilt these carbs I am not a carb guy and really want to add ind filtersand jet kit...HELP!!!
    Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

You can find the intakes at www.partsnmore.com for $80 a set including the gaskets. I bought a set and have no complaints. If you don't have $80 to spend on them, I will sell you my old ones for $20. They don't leak even though there is some small cracking on the outside of the rubber. I just bought the new ones to avoid troubles in future years.

If you are interested in my old ones, contact me at billmurrin@hotmail.com and I will email you pictures.
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Carbs are off Now what??

Great news!!! I am needing to rebuild the Carbs and I know the intakes are bad!! I took the carbs off today about 30 minutes,,seems they look fine to me no major or minor scum etc. I have no idea what needs to be done but I will read some more posts and try to figure it out... I am going to order INDI filters and need some advice on the jets I will need...I am not able to figure all the altitude and jet stuff..,soooo please let me know what I need to order..I have a stock dual exhaust and will have indi filters...Help!!! and thanks for everything in advance!!!!!!
      Shack
      Shack
      Oct 02
      3176 miles

Comment

carbs

yo Shack,

Steve from San Antonio here. If you need some help with your carbs, I am available. Am just finishing a major facelift of PITA my '81 Midnight. Just did the carbs, indy filters, Kerker 4:1 exhaust, and redone electrics.
        My E-mail addy is smcnealy@satx.rr.com. Contact me off list if you need.
        Steve M
        Gypsy MC
        '81 XS11 LH-PITA

Comment

Shack. where at in East Texas?.. Beaumont area here... My first thing i ever did to my bike was tear the carbs all apart... watch out for the float pins/post and the rubber throttle shaft seals.
          Shawn
          78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
          78 XS1100E Parts
          www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Nacogdoches, about 20 minutes north of Lufkin...I am not sure what I need to order yet???? New carbs?? Well I know I will need jets and a kit rebuild where is the best place to order this stuff?? I ordered the indi filters but not real sure about the rest of the stuff...anyone rebuilt their 79 xs carbs help!!!!!! I think the other years are different??? Oh well pipe in with your advice...I am ready to get her back together soon ASAP.,. Thanx
            Shack
            Shack
            Oct 02
            3176 miles

Comment

I liked the guys at Carburetor Parts Warehouse www.carbparts.com. Got their phone from the web site and they shipped out pilot jets no problem, also you get a cool sticker for your toolbox or tank.
              David Browne
              XS11SG Crunchbird
              XS500E

Comment

Great....I will check them out..I disassembled the carbs today....everything looks okay.....Cleaned it twice one ,to go...I will pick up jets tomorrow at a local dealer for $1.99 each.. I still don't know what to do with the floats to check them..How do you know if the needle and seat are ok???????????????
                shack
                Shack
                Oct 02
                3176 miles

Comment

visual inspection

Shack,

Look at the needle valves, the little spring loaded things that the floats push up on. These shut off the fuel flow when the fuel level in the bowls reaches an appropriate level. Look for a little worn groove around the taper/tip. Also look for any scuffs, scratches, or other imperfections.
                  Grooves are the most likely beacuse according to earlier posts, they started acting up suddenly. Didn't seem to be after a prolonged period of sittting, am I right?
                  Will be home all eve; give me a call if you need to chat about the carbs now that you have them in front of you.
                  Steve M
                  Gypsy MC
                  '81 XS11 LH-PITA

Comment

Working...
                  X