right turn signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right turn signal

I have an 80 xs1100g with a vetter windjammer. Midway through a trip this weekend, the right turn signals and the emergency flashers quit working at speed. They will work up to 35mph then quit. They won't work again until the bike comes to a stop, or near a stop, then they work fine and will work back up to about 35mph. The left signals work fine. The flashers work when stopped up to 35mph as well. So far I've just checked the bulbs and the connections. Any ideas? Wiring isn't my strength mechanically.

Hey Martin,

IF the left signals work at speed, then it's most likely NOT the signal flasher. The Emergency circuit uses a different flasher on the left side of the bike, a different circuit. Both fail at speed 35mph+! Most folks report problems at idle due to lower power output from ALT at idle, but improves once speed and engine rpm's are up cranking out more power!

So...with it failing at speed, I have to think that it's something to do with a loose/poor connection and vibration causing it to break connection at speed!?

Just reviewed the microfiche, and the rear signals use that large washer type connector INSIDE the rear fender that the ground wire is connected to, and it tends to get corroded, rusted, etc, and looses it's ability to conduct=loss of ground! Also, when you take the bulbs out, check the sockets and wires around the socket for corrosion as well!

Another possibility is a loose wire in the switch assembly in the handlebar? Good Luck!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the help TC. I'll start disassembly and cleanup of the signal/connection/switch tomorrow afternoon. The back signals also have a quick disconnect fitting that a prior owner installed. Probably for running the signals in a different location w/wo the hardbags.

Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

Found the problem. It is the in the wiring to the right rear signal. Pull on the wiring and the signal quits working, let it go and they work fine.

Will fix today.

Comment

Working...
        X