Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumped it now it smokes.

Hello-

I recently dumped my bike...she fires right up, but there is a slight ticking and it smokes from both pipes.

My question...the pipes got pretty beat up...they're dented so bad in some places it appears the pipe may be near closed.

Could this be causing both my problems?

I'm hoping the noise is only valve chatter because it is running lean or something.

Same with the smoke.

It's black smoke...normally means all the fuel isn't being burnt right?

It isn't bellowing smoke...just when you get on it a bit.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Last edited by DenzComp; 07-15-2007, 02:59 PM.

Another thing I should add.

I just laid it on its side on the back of the truck on the way home.

I figured it was totaled so I didn't care. After getting it home and looking at it is when I realized it could probably be fixed fairly cheaply.

It has been run on and off for maybe 15 minutes total. At first it wouldn't even idle...then it idled after a couple of minutes...

It may "clean" itself out after a bit.

It was on its side in the back of the truck for about 35-40 minutes.

Comment

10 minutes is a long time to be on its side. The floats do not close off fuel that way. Check the air filter. Check the crank for gas contamination. The stock pipes are nearly "flat" just after the head pipes.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I don't think they were stock pipes. The guy my father bought it from said they were some rare kerker pipes. They crisscross...so 1 and 3 go out one side and 2 and 4 go out the other. I believe that's what it is...may have it mixed up...

By checking the crank...do you mean to see if gas has contaminated the oil?

Any ideas on the ticking?

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: What should I check for at the air filter? If it's soaked?

I know that black smoke isn't normally the end of the world, but I also know that it is still trouble.
        Last edited by DenzComp; 07-15-2007, 05:57 PM.

Comment

After checking the oil to make sure it's not contaminated would it be safe to let it run for awhile? Even with the ticking?

I'm more worried about the tick than the smoke right now.

It seems to have all the power it had before...I can only rev it now...no front forks or tire.

I hope to have it back together by the end of this weekend and I'm sure I'll know more by then.

Only thing holding me back right now is waiting on parts to arrive...

Comment

LOT'S of heat...QUICKLY
            You'll really want to use a fan in front of the engine if running for more than 1-2 minutes....

Listen to skids (for that matter all of the XSGURU'S)
            they know what they are talking about....

you'd be looking in the air filter housing for gas and YES soaked filter.....

check the spark plugs for fouling....I'd bet they'll be oil fouled

and check for gas in the oil

also check the pipes before and after the "flat spots" even temp is what you'll want to see

Good luck
            1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
            "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
            My Photo Bucket

Comment

What do you mean by

LOT'S of heat...QUICKLY

Is that because of those headers? Or just these bikes in general.

The plugs don't seem fouled...they might be..I'll pull them tomorrow....she fires right up just like she use to.

How do you recommend checking the temperature?

Comment

Bike's in general....unless it's liquid cooled....
                OURS aren't

A handy little laser temp gauge is ideal...point and shoot
                if you don't have one either
                spray bottle of water or even windex will give you an close idea
                lightly touching with your fingers as it's warming up will too
                1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                My Photo Bucket

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I'm going to look at it a lot more tomorrow and post.

Keep the advice coming if you've got it.

Thanks again,

Comment

The ticking can be caused by a loosened head pipe gasket, a hole in the exhaust system, a fouled plug causing the spark to jump to the engine fins, or uneven combustion between cylinders. Black smoke should disappear soon if the air filter was soaked...no big deal.

Originally posted by DenzComp
                    Thanks for the info everyone. I truly appreciate it.

I'm going to look at it a lot more tomorrow and post.

Keep the advice coming if you've got it.

Thanks again,
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The ticking is probably from a leak...

There was a hole in one of them....the metal peeled back a pit...I used a hammer and got it down flat, but I'm sure it still leaks...

I have basic mechanical skills...could someone explain why the hole would cause the tick?

So if the tick is from the hole and the black smoke goes away I should be fine right?

Other than the appearance blemishes... she should be good to ride by the weekend.

Comment

As the exhaust valve opens, it sends a high pressure wave of hot gases out through the pipe. As the gas is able to expand, the pressure drops, and the gas cools down. With a hole in the pipe, the high pressure gas "squirts" quickly out the hole. As it is very rapid, it sounds more like a "tick" than a "whoosh".
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Checked the oil earlier...smelt a little like gas so I went ahead and drained it. It wasn't loaded with gas...but any amount of gas in the oil is too much.

The forks will be here tomorrow and the tire Friday. So by the end of this weekend I'll know if the bike is worth putting anymore money into.

I'm 90% sure my problems are all coming from those headers....with the creasing and the hole.

I'll keep this thread updated as I find out more information.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and knowledge. I appreciate it.

Comment

Also....if anyone reads this and has headers laying around let me know.

These are beyond repair.

Comment

I have the entire front end replaced now.

I took it down the road and it had no power. It acted real doggy.

I'm assuming this has something to do wit the crushed headers.

I took them off and am taking them to my local flowmaster to see if they can repair them.

Would the crushed headers be causing the bike to bog out...I don't know how else to put it into words other than it had no power. It went down the road...but it wasn't the old XS...that's for sure.

There is still a slight noise...I'm pretty sure the cam chain needs to be adjusted.

Comment

Working...
                              X