fuel mixture screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel mixture screws

Some where in the back of my foggy old brain is something about if the screws are between the filters and the carbs it controls air , if it is between the carbs and the engine it controls fuel. Does this sound familliar to anyone?
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

XSes pilot screws do a little of both.

CW = lean, CCW = rich

mro

Comment

fuel mixture screws

The question was,which is being controlled by the screw, gas flow or air flow ,knowing what you are controlling tells you what your ajustments will do. before you do them.a pretty handy thing to know. Far better then lets turn this thingy and see what happens.
      Fastmover
      lion". SHL
      78 XS1100e

Comment

As MRO said,

OUR pilot screws actually control both air and fuel that is already partly mixed by the time they get to that port in the carb body, but then get atomized more as it's sucked into the engine, so he wasn't being smartalecky! There are holes in the sides of the pilot jets, and both fuel and air are sucked in thru the circuit, and the pilot/idle screw then adjust how much of this mixture is allowed to flow.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Re: fuel mixture screws

You can think of them as fuel screws if that helps your thinking. Tightening them will lean it out.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

one more time

This is becoming a big crate of apples and oranges here,so I am going to explan this again. I wasn't asking how to adjust the carbs on an xs1100 or xj1100 ,I was trying to remember an old bike tuners adage to help some of our members figure out by themselves(not that we all don't enjoy helping them) how to tell which way they need make their adjustments. Now with that explained, does anyone remember ever hearing that adage ? And if I got it right.
            Fastmover
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

YES .. as rule of thumb with 2 screw setups (not seen often) screws on the air box side will control air and screws on the engine side control fuel.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
              X