starter click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter click

HI, I have a buddy who has a 1978 1100 XS with the Vetter pacakage. Actually he has about 150,000 kms on the bike.

He was getting a tire repaired and drove it to the local shop. After the tire was fixed he went to start it and all it did was click. He said he could not move the engine even with the cranck?? Not sure what he meant there.
    But I am wondering if the starter might have ceased and not allow the engine to turn over. The other tought I had was that mauybe the ground is corrodded.
    Any ideas.
    Scott
    Manitoba canada

absolutly check the ground,
    also check the voltage in the battery, not sure the point that it won't be enuf to start (10.5 volts, I think)

you could try to jump the battery, too
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Comment

starter click

Yes I thought the ground as well. he said it was running fine and then turned it off, and then it seemed to cease on him. I also thought that maybe the starter drive finally ceased.

It was not burning any oil, and it never displayed any type of engine issue.

The battery like you also mentioned could be the culprit. Not sure when Ed changed it. He bought it wiuth about 70,000, and now has way more the 150,000.

Been a great bike.
      Looked at the picture of your black beauty. Nice bike.
      Scott

Comment

He said he could not move the engine even with the cranck?
        If he ment could not get it to turn over with the kick starter could be a problem.....
        Starter should not keep the kick starter from working.

Sounds dumb but would make sure it's not in gear.
        Can push start XSes easily with two guys if battery is still good.

mro

Comment

not starter???

Well on my buddies XS 1100, the starter is loose and it turns over. But it fires but also back fires. I think it may be the cam chain has jumped, but he found two tubes in the air box. A longer and shorter Aluminum tube.
          He thinks that maybe they have something to do with the air fuel mixture and may not be the chains at all.

Any one have any thoughts and if it is the cam chains anyone know how hard or how difficult to do.

My friend has a parts bike that was written off with only 28kms. IUf it is the chains he may just use the other ones.
          Scott

Comment

he found two tubes in the air box
            Most likely those are the spacers for the bolts that hold the air box together.

think it may be the cam chain has jumped
            Pull left engine cover and valve cover.
            Rotate engine clock wise and line up pointer with the "T" mark (on the timing plate)...then check that the "dots" on the cams align with the raised arrows on the center cam caps.

If all good, good time to adjust cam chain since left egine cover off any way.

mro

Comment

Working...
            X