XS vs XJ parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS vs XJ parts?

I've been doing some research to see what it would take to get this old bike running and am not having much luck! Seems that XS parts are abundant, XJ are not.

My question to you good people is how much of the XS is the same as the XJ? If I buy carb kits labeled for the XS, will they work on the XJ?

Diamond in the rough!
    2006 Kymco Xciting 250
    1985 Honda VF700C Magna
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J Maxim

There's lots of things that are different, but within the drivetrain itself (Engine, tranny, carbs.. etc) they are pretty interchangeable. The XJ does have the YICS on the back side of the head and motor and must be taken into account when working on the carbs. The carbs themselves are going to use the same parts internally, but the outside is hooked up a bit different for the choke (Enrichener) cable. The jets are different sizes than the XS, but they are the same type. Also, if they haven't been messed with, the XJ carbs have the idle mixture screws capped off with a brass washer/cap. Mine still seems to run good without messing with them, so mine are still capped off... even though I have been advised to do so. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!).

Short story long... if it will fit the XS carbs, it will fit the XJ. The bodies are pretty much the same except the bell opening is 54mm versus 52mm if you were going to look for pod filters for it.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own