Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter pods - QUICK ANSWER NEEDED!

Hey guys,

I'm not near my bike at the moment and need a quick measurement.

Does anyone have an XJ1100 available that could measure the OUTSIDE diameter of the carb throats where the filters connect? I believe it's around 54mm if my memory is right.

Anyone that could take a good accurate measurement for me would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Based on all the eBay auctions I've been through searching for various parts, the after market air filters are 54mm and claim to fit both XJ and XS models.
    1981 XS1100 SH

Comment

That's the problem, most places "claim" they are 54mm and "claim" they fit XJ1100's. But, when you get them, they don't work. Then the company or seller says "it was your responsibility to make sure it fits before you bought it"...

I need to know for sure. If someone has an XJ1100 and can take accurate measurements in millimeters for me, that would be fantastic!

Dave

Comment

Yup... they're 54mm, (If you are positive they are the original carbs and not off of an XS) BUT... if you buy the cheap generic filters, they won't work for you without a lot of work.

If you look, the cheaper ones on the left actually block part of the passages in your carbs. TC has made an extension that he added to his to make those work, but they still close off the air flow quite a bit in my opinion. The cheap ones were $40. Spend an extra $20 with http://www.aperaceparts.com/ and get the right ones. You'll need to call them since it's not listed, but they are true K&N replicas for a lot less.

Just my 2 cents...

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

So the carb throat's OUTSIDE diameter is 54mm or I need 54mm INSIDE diameter filters?

My engine is completely stock and I'm 100% positive it's the original carbs.

I really just need to find out the actual OUTSIDE diameter of the carb throats. Can anyone measure for me?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

OUTSIDE is 54mm
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Are you 100% on that? Did you actually measure or are you just going from memory?

Thanks for the info!

Comment

I have an XJ and they are indeed 54mm

Comment

If you both have 1100's and you're fairly confident, I appreciate the info.

Thanks!

I'm off to buy some new filters!

Comment

Let's not forget that if you use PODS you will probably have to re-jet. I am using APE individulal filters from cycle-recycle, had to go up to 122.5 mains and 47.5 pilots and the pilot screws at 1 3/4 turns out. Bike runs great right through the RPM range. original on my bike were 115 mains and 45 pilots. Hope this helps some.

Darrell

Comment

The XJ uses 112.5 mains and 47.5 pilots stock. I did go up to a 115 main using the Ape pods, but kept the pilots the same.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Mine has pods on it currently. K&N filter pods, but they're getting a little worn out. They've been there a while.

Just upgrading to some newer filters and don't remember what size to get. Runs great with the current filters so I shouldn't have to re-jet after replacement unless there is a drastic change in air flow with the new filters.

Comment

Working...
                        X