Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would I get less than 20MPG on an XS1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would I get less than 20MPG on an XS1100?

The floats are resonable close to right and it ain't leaking gas, it's timed and the vaccum advance works, but it gets less than 20MPG and runs terribly rich......what gives?!?

Sounds like time to clean those carbs, check your jet sizes, do a good syncronization and a good tune up. If you are right, you should be getting over 30 MPG
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Are there any spots in the rpm range that are sluggish ? (if so, use new plugs and run at that range for 10 minutes and check plugs) Does it pull hard in the upper end or is top speed less than 100 mph? How do the plugs look? How is your exhaust system, including the welds, baffles, and crush gaskets? Any of those things (and more?) will give you clues about what is wrong.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Has it always been like this while in your possession? I'd also suggest checking your jets - it's possible you may even have the wrong style that feeds too much fuel into the mix. Does she leak fuel from the carbs when not running?
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Why would I get less than 20MPG on an XS1100?
          Might be time to diet?
          Runs rich... Also check the airfilter.. might be really dirty.
          Simple things... Is it running strong on all four cylinders? Some people can't tell the difference.
          Like the other's have mentioned...
          Yes, check float height and while you're in there, check that the jets are the corret size. What's the idle mixture screw set at?
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Oooh ooh ooh, Prom, you reminded me of something. Get the bike running for a minute or two and spray some water on each individual header pipe - it should roll off the pipe due to the intense heat. If it just sits there and steams or does nothing, you just found a dead cylinder. Then you can do a couple tests to figure out if it's fuel or spark related.

Comment

Should instantly sizzle away.
              I always use a spray bottle of 409 cleaner. Seems to be always handy.

Oh, and Snow...
              You need to start writing your graduation speech, or whatever.
              It needs to be profound, insightful, but most of all, humble.

(We've been watching)
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578

Oh, and Snow...
                You need to start writing your graduation speech, or whatever.
                It needs to be profound, insightful, but most of all, humble.

(We've been watching)
                Lol, I was wondering if anyone had noticed recently - I'll try to make #1000 good

Comment

Working...
                X