carb problem still not fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb problem still not fixed

WELL GOT MY CARBS BACK ON STARTED IT UP RAN FINE FOR A FEW MINUTES THEN IT TOOK OFF LIKE A ROCKET THE RPM JUMPED WAY UP TO AROUND 6000 RPM AND WOULDNT COME BACK DOWN I DID THE PRE SYNC THAT I FOUND ON THE TECH LINK I NEED HELP AT MY WITTS END HAVE GONE OVER EVERTHING AT LEAST FIVE TIMES CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT I DID WRONG IM SO UPSET WITH MYSELF BECAUSE I CANT FIGURE OUT WHATS WRONG WAS TALKING WITH A BUDDY OF MINE THAT LIVES IN UTAH AND HE SAYS I MIGHT HAVE A AIR LEAK BUT I CANT MAKE IDLE LONG ENOUGH TO FIND OUT IF THERES ANYBODY OUT THERE THAT COULD HELP ME I SURE WOULD BE GREATFUL IF ANYONE LIVES IN MY AREA AND COULD STOP AND POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION OR MAYBE HELP ME SET MY CARBS I WILL FOREVER BE IN THERE DEBT THANKS FOR YOUR TIME YOU CAN PM ME OUR GIVE ME A CALL MY WORK NUMBER IS 817-573-2666
    4/78 xs1100 standard
    Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

"Yes, synch could still be a problem"

I reread all your previous carb related posts, so we'll start at the beginning.
    First... put in all new spark plugs. I don't care what the old ones look like. (even if they're not fouled, one could be loopy)
    Up by your throttle, get a wrench(8mm I believe) and loosen the cable. Put a lot of slack in the throttle grip, you can re-adjust it out later.
    Good, now the carb's throttle plates can only be controlled by the idle screw wheel. Back it out all the way until it is no longer touching the linkage.
    Start the bike.
    It may not start, as with the screw backed out, the throttle plates are totally closed. You may have to hold them open a little by using the throttle grip.
    Keep the throttle grip in the same position as the bike warms up. Don't forget to turn the choke/enrichener off when needed.
    Now, with the bike warm and you holding the throttle steady, does the RPM still jump up?
    If the RPM stays steady, turn in the idle screw wheel till the screw hits the linkage and you can release the throttle.
    If it still surges, shut the bike down and immediately spray each header pipe with water from a spray bottle, (or use a bottle of 409 cleaner)
    Did all pipes sizzle the same? (You're looking for one cylinder that is firing half-a$$ and then suddenly coming to life)
    Write back with results.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: carb problem still not fixed

Originally posted by mrutah12
      I DID THE PRE SYNC THAT I FOUND ON THE TECH LINK
      When you pre-sync with a wire, that holds the butterflies open and you will get a high idle. The thicker a piece of wire you used for the pre-sync, the higher the idle will be. You need to dial back the idle speed adjusting screw ( between carb #2 and carb #3) to bring the idle back down where it belongs. Then you need to get a set of vacuum gauges or mercury sticks to do a proper carb sync. You can try doing a finer pre-sync by using the method where you get the butterflies to just about half cover up the wee orifices in the carb throat. No matter how careful you are with this, it will still not be fully sync'd until you get a set of gauges on it.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Working...
      X