Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old XS1100 documentary footage (youtube)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old XS1100 documentary footage (youtube)

I just happened across
    this old XS1100 video on youtube and thought I'd post it. I suppose it's likely that it's already been seen, or in fact that one of you put it up on youtube to begin with but here we are.

No info on the vid aside from the little info posted along with it.

I clipped this off a motorcycle documentary - Take it to the Limit. Shows an early XS1100 in action!
    Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
    My story

wow, nice the guy took it to 130, wonder if they have speed rate tires back then, the trans did sound clunky going into first as usual.
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Took it to130 and didn,t need to tuck down. His bike has more HP than mine. He's stronger than me
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hey Datter,

Thanks for that link, was awesome.
        Hey Pat, you'll want to watch it again, cause around the 2 minute mark, he does eventually tuck down a bit. Also, if you look at the handlebars at that time you can see them starting to do the high speed wobble/shimmy. You can also see it on the leading camera shot looking at the bike/rider from the front, also looks like you can start to see that wobble!

The title IS take it to the limit....and 130 at ~8krpm is pretty close to that point...hence the visions of the sportbike crash!

There's also a mistake in the video, cause they show him turnng on the ignition key, and the headlight comes on...then they show him starting it, and again they show the headlight coming on AFTER he starts it!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

It's gotta be redlining to do 130, didn't look like that rev counter was even close to redlining, I reckon it's only doing about 117 mph. Just caught the video of that green terror bike, TC, that was a sluggish start against that hotted harley! But I sure wouldn't wanna drop the clutch at 6 grand with those handlebars either!

Comment

I really enjoyed those movies. Thanks.

Yeah, what's up with getting beaten by a Hardley?
            Is a 14 second / 95mph quarter mile typical for our bikes of this age?

We should post more XS movies on there.
            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
              It's gotta be redlining to do 130, didn't look like that rev counter was even close to redlining, I reckon it's only doing about 117 mph.
              Mine does 132mph (212km/h) at 8500 rpm.
              XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

I'm starting to regret that video!

Originally posted by ae7f
                I really enjoyed those movies. Thanks.

Yeah, what's up with getting beaten by a Hardley?
                Is a 14 second / 95mph quarter mile typical for our bikes of this age?
                No Ben, it's typical of RIDERS of my age! ! Give me a break, first time on track, my bike has a tendency to wheelie, bulky gloves=poor clutch feel....yea PGGG, it wasn't pretty when that happened on my second run but my videographer didn't realize I had come back up to the line and missed it! But you can see the starting guy making fun of me with his hands in the air doing a mimic of my almost taillight scraping wheelie that happened when the clutch accidentally dumped!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

you tube

when you watch it after that one they recomend 4 more videos check out the
                  fork in the video or maybe its the fith.
                  one thing is for sure i want those triple trees. as ever bill
                  bill hane

Comment

That made me laugh. Then I saw the burnout video and I smiled.
                    "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

Very Cool!!

That guys movin' along pretty well. It looked like he had a little shimmy going on at about 2:08. Right before he starts slowing down. That's a great road he's riding on.

It's great to see a video of the bike from the actual time period. Pretty rare, I'd imagine.

Don't let 'em get to you TC! You'll nail it next time!
                      80 XS1100SG
                      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

T.C.

YouTube can be your best friend, your worst enemy, or an annoying little Gnat that won't leave your ear alone.
                        "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Comment

TC....I'm still recovering from my unplanned wheelie 2-1/2 years ago...when the MONSTER was still FULLY dressed, and SWMBO on board
                          1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                          My Photo Bucket

Comment

Working...
                          X