One ???? "Creation 5"
    One ???? "Parts Bike"
    All the above 1100 Specials
    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
    1980 Midnight Special
    1978 650 SE

Comment

"Controversy is my middle name."

(Actually, it's A$$hole... blame my parents)

, my local dealer wanted $142.00 for the rear tire plus another $45.00 for mount and balance, plus 7% sales tax.
      Now, I don't know what tire you bought, but let's play with a Dunlop Elite III. Dealer cost is $100.40. (Not including shipping) Retail is $132.95.
      So, the dealer makes a whopping $32.55! Maybe after shipping charges, it's more like $28.
      "Woo Hoo! Give the Part's Guy a raise!"
      Now lets go get it mounted and balanced...
      Standard rate... Oh, we'll use my $37.50.
      Half hour's pay for the mechanic leaves the shop a labor income of $25.
      So, the shop makes $28(tire)+$25(labor)=$53.
      You pay $132.95(tire)+$37.50(Labor)+$14.32(tax)=$184.77.
      Of course, the shop makes no income from tax... so the shop's income comes to 22% of the total bill.
      And I know, that as a business man, you realize that that $53(22%) is income, not profit. For out of that sum comes money for mortgage, utilities, flooring costs, dog bisquits and paying the Part's Guy to stand around while you tried to decide between Blackwall and Raised White Lettering.
      Oh, and don't forget that the shop has to shell out that "profit" money for inventory. That pallet of tires was worth $3,750. (The inventory that we had to ship back to "Parts Unlimited" alone came to over $125,000. That's money tied up, not in the owner's pocket.)
      50% of the total bill as profit is not what I call reasonable.
      I'm sorry, but I can't see where you got your numbers.
      (I had a wisdom tooth pulled last year. Took the dentist 10 minutes with a pliers... charged me $400. That's $2,400 an hour! I should go back and complain.)

Diver Ray may be an unusual case(in more ways than one) He frequents his local shop, buys an occasional item, maybe has some work done, smiles and is friendly to the staff... Maybe brings in donuts, who knows?
      Oft' times, I'd sell parts to customers like him at, or near, cost. (Wouldn't charge to mount tires, either, provided they were off the bike)
      Guess it all depends.

Getting back to your wheel balancing, Jerry...
      I was gonna comment when your thread first appeared.
      Now, it's my understanding from reading the literature, that this entails putting little weighted balls or something in the tire, and as it spins, the centrifugal force throws them outward against the inner surface of the tire. I still can't see how this balances them. They will settle not where there is a lightly weighted spot, but where there is a depression made during manufacturing, which may, or may not be where the "light" spot is.
      Rims are more often the cause of an imbalance, not the tire. I fail to see how these beads when spinning around, know just where to end up to put things in harmony. The extra weight would give it more mass, harmonic momemtum (or some such engineering words) but I can't see balance.
      Obviously, this can't be checked with a "static balancing" as the balls would all puddle on the bottom.
      What I'd like to see is an unbalanced tire on a dynamic balancer, spinning, and if those little balls would actually do the trick.
      I liken this to putting a magnet on your car's fuel line. As the gas flows past, it becomes "polarized", the molecules line up and you get better mileage.
      (No, TRBIG... just 'cause they advertise these magnets in the back of your comic books doesn't mean they actually work. If they did, as with the Balancing Balls, I'm sure they'd be the industry "norm" by now. More money to be made selling Balancing Kits than by selling lead weights)
      I may be wrong, but I'd like to see a read-out from a dynamic balancer first.
      When you stop at a light, can you hear those things whizzing around?
      HMmm... there's a thought...
      Not trying to be sarcastic, Jerry...
      Most people can't feel an unbalanced tire anyway... but you may.
      After you get your last tire mounted with the balls inside, slap a whole bunch of lead weights on both tires, take it for a spin and see if it feels the same. Balanced, I mean.

I know all about customers. In fact, that is why I stay away from end users as much as possible these days
      Exactly the reason I turned down three Service Manager offers from other dealerships, Crazcnuk.
      Dealing with customers sometimes left me... angry, cynical and bitter. (I know you find that hard to believe)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I took over all the stores commercial contracts. People aren't mad at me, because I sold them junk, they are ecstatic to see me because I will save the day! (hopefully)

Now I only have to deal with dispatchers, but since I have been around longer than all of them combined, I really don't pay much attention to them, other than where my next call is.

I go to bed around 4am, get up between 10am and noon, go for lunch (breakfast) do a few calls and call it a day, usually before 5pm.

Yes, somedays I am on the road at 6:30am, and others I don't get home till really late, but almost always before bed time!

I fully understand all the ins and outs of business. I used to have to charge labor rates too. People thought it was criminal for us to charge to install a game, but then, we don't do it for fun.

but I still don't like to pay $100 to mount a tire!
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Ceramic balls, I want some, first I've heard of them, don't seem to get them down here, my front wheels unbalanced and I'm too lazy and tightfisted to remove it and pay for a balance, Prom's gonna test some on the tyre balancer for us, good fella,

Comment

Re: "There I go, agreeing with TRBIG again."

Originally posted by prometheus578
            Shops, like any other business, need to make money offa the stuff they sell.
            You get "Good Customer" status by using the shop once in a while... pays off with freebies and discounts in the long run.
            Just to get off the topic here a little, Prom is correct (as usual). I deal with a small shop here. They don't sell bikes, just work on em. Two man shop and the appreciate "old iron". I found that while I could save a few bucks buying online, the goodwill generated by "buying local" pays off big in the long run. I use this guy for inspections and always will buy stuff off the rack when I get a "no profit" inspection done. I will frequent him for items like plugs, polish and filters. I could buy this stuff cheaper at the box stores but I know he knows that and he appreciates my business. I am on my second set of tires from him. He did not charge for mounting when I bought the second set (had the wheels off). My most recent dealing was checking on machine work for the upcoming install of a big bore kit. All in all, buying the kit from him will result in reduced machine work charges for boreing and head work. We both will come out of the deal with smiles on our faces.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I have the solution and have been using it for years. For anything you can't do yourself and don't want to learn, take it to a shop and give them what they ask. For everything else, price compare with other retailers and do it yourself...

To this end, I don't deal at all with the local stealerships as I've learned to do everything myself aside from machine work...which they farm out anyway. Why would I pay to have some recent 'graduate' of MMI do substandard work on my pride and joy when I can do a superior job myself? Heck, if a friend needs work done that I can do, I'll 'help' that friend do it with my tools - even if another XSive I don't know needs help that I can supply, I'll do it simply out of good-will.

Business is business - if you find that you can't make money because of some unforeseen competition (such as online), you have to change your business model/plan. Hate to be harsh, but it's the truth.
              Last edited by Snow; 07-12-2007, 07:54 AM.
              1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
              1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
              http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

"It takes me less than 5 minutes to take my back wheel off, and another 5 to put it back on. It takes about 5-10 minutes to pop off the tire and put a new one on, and the balance takes about 30 secs (make it a minute if you have to stick weights on)."
                Jeez Crazcnuk,
                you must be effin' Superman. It takes me a half-hour just to find my wrenches.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well, your in Saskatchabush. You drop a socket and it'll roll 10 or 20 miles!

My 'workshop' is a 10'x10' steel shed, with just enough headroom for me to stand up.

I have at least 5 complete sets of tools, so I can usually scrounge em up in a hurry.

However, in my estimates I was calculating having the tools handy before I start. I am also talking on the Virago... Only takes 3 wrenches, side cutters, and a ball peen.

It didn't take any longer on the VT1100 either. With either bike as long as it's on the center stand you can get the tire out past the fender no problem.
                  Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                  '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Way too spendy...

I don't know how you guys spend so much for tires. I just put a new Elite II on t he rear, had to order, total cost was $62 and change. Place to go is Cycle Gear. Great place, good service, great prices and they have stores everywhere.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I have at least 5 complete sets of tools, so I can usually scrounge em up in a hurry
                      I too have at least 5 complete sets of tools, but it's quicker for me to drive to Sears and buy another 10mm wrench than it is to scrounge around the garage looking for the ones I already have.

Comment

I too have at least 5 complete sets of tools, but it's quicker for me to drive to Sears and buy another 10mm wrench than it is to scrounge around the garage looking for the ones I already have.
                        ...wow...that rings true for me as well! Guess it's time to organize my tools :/
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Now THAT is funny!

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

"Actually, it's tragic."

A sad commentary on the life of a packrat...

Comment

Re: "Actually, it's tragic."

My daughter just can't understand why it is a big deal to put the tools and things exactly where I put them! I can search the garage for hours for the tool she put in the wrong spot.

A sad commentary on the life of a packrat...
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

balence

the last 50 dunlop 501 i mounted din't even need weight .
                                as ever bill
                                bill hane

Comment

Working...
                                X