updated pics of the $50 beater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• updated pics of the $50 beater

sup guys. i thought i'd put up some pics of my $50. xs. i got a fuel tank and seat for $30 plus my front vetter fairing that i was not going to keep. it has a 6 dollar flat black paintjob for now and the sheet metal side covers are temp. till i find a nice set of side covers cheap. it still needs alot of cosmetic work but this will let it be ridable till i get a few more funds for this project.

before (the day i brought it home)

after

79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

That's my kind of project! I'm hoping to have the same success but I had to start at $800 for the bike. I've got cosmetic issues too. My bike was dropped bad on the right side, then on the left to even things out. Previous owner did it.

Great job on the bike!
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

Comment

Well now ya' done it, that is the FIRST 11 I have seen with 2 sets of crash bars
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

'Late again."

with 2 sets of crash bars
        I was gonna comment on the same thing, 81XS.

Nothing wrong with that bike at all.
        I think it looks good (not stock and shiney), but who says they all have to look like that?
        You do need to wipe that mud offa the license plate, though.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

If I knew there was a contest, I would have taken a few pictures before I took mine apart!

Picture an 80G with saddlebags, trunk and fairing that look like his gas tank, big hole in the fairing, and a lot of repairs. Gas tank and side covers sans emblems, filled and faded spray bomb red.

XS Special high back seat, that doesn't fit right.

Case guards, trunk hardware, and carrier with more rust than chrome, and a 4 into 1 header with a car blue bottle muffler stuck on the end that looked like it had been under a car for a few years.

Front tire is the the wrong size (too small) No tread on the rear.

That's the OUTSIDE, you don't want to know about the inside!
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

what do you guys mean by "2 sets of crash bars"?
            if ur talking about the bars on the front of the motor (which I think u are), one bar is mounted to the frame or engine (cant remember), and the other bars are made into the floorboard as one big peice then mounted to a motor mount and stuff. they were on there when i got it, so im guessin its not a OEM option?

but i think im gonna stick with the flat black look, im just gonna have it done at a shop once i get the side panals and the chrome stuff derusted.

Comment

They have the same air shocks as my XS when I bought it. Best thing I ever did was throw them in the corner of the shed and replace with good ones.

Could never get the pressure just right. Generally too hard and when I left the pressure low for a good ride I couldn't get it to sit on the sidestand.

Can't go wrong with that price though.
              1981 XJ550RH
              1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
              1978 XS1100F X Streem
              1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
              Jet/Mod Calculator
              Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I love the air (mono) shock on my Virago. Have never had a set of dual air shocks on the back before.

I can set the XV for anything I want, including 400lb freinds, if needed. then play with the damping a bit and I can tune for pretty much anything I run on.

I find most people still insist on having thier suspension way too hard. I run my front forks at 0psi and the rear at 28psi with the damper on it's lowest setting.

The Shadow 1100 had terrible rear shocks. too soft even for almost anything. Even just me on the bike and I am under 200lbs, was too much for them.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Nice job!

Do you have any problem with the floor boards and lean angles?
                  1981 XS1100SH

Comment

MALBER- ive never had it leaned far enough to hit, but normal riding they never hit when goin into turns.

Hired_Goon- i agree these shocks are a pain. i will be replacing them soon. they were eather to soft or to hard. but i did finally get them set good, i filled them full of air then hit the release 2 quick times. now when i sit on the bike it lowers down a good 2 inchs, then when i put the kickstand down and get off there is enough pressure to raise back up by itself. kinda cool to watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X