K&L jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&L jets

With all the talk about K&L jets being junk, (I thought so too) I thought I'd let you know my weekend results. I rebuilt a customers carb with his supplied K&L kits. Mains 137.5 and 42.5 pilot jets, float seats and needles, idle mixture screws. Sync came right in and idled nice and smooth, pulled strong thru complete rpm range. Bike runs great.

For what it's worth !!!
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

So do you think that going down one size on the pilots helped? I was thinking stock is 45's for the 78 and 79 models. All else is stock on the bike you worked on?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

45 was stock for 78 but not 79. 42.5 was in the carbs when I took em apart. Stock bike. Also installed air jet from kit.
      79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
      79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Hey Red,

Did the pilots have the vent holes in their sides or not? IF they had the holes, then they may have been the correct style. Prom has posted that K&L made several styles, and many times folks end up ordering the wrong kits, and they get the later styled pilots with NO HOLES which run too rich and cause the idling and poor low end performance! Glad to hear it was a successful repair/maintanence session!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

They had 6 holes in the sides just like OEM.
          79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Hey Red,

What do you supply your customers with if I may ask?

I've just spent a motza on rebuilding my '78E's cylinders, pistons, rings and head (with the indispesable assistance of fellow excessive petejw, thanks pete!) and now that the engine is perfect, the carbs little problems which weren't really noticable before the rebuild, are pretty noticable now.

I don't want to make any blunders before I start so what brand rebuild kit would you use?

I'll understand if you want to keep this info under your hat.

Thanks,

Dan Tyson (Stralya)
            Automotive Imbecile.
            Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
            '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

The ones that have the outlet hole downstream of the air bleed holes are the ones to use. Micuni also makes pilot jets where the outlet hole is upstream of the air bleed holes and I have never had any luck with those, although the ones I tried were the #45 variety (way richer than normal #45.)

Originally posted by red bandit
              They had 6 holes in the sides just like OEM.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Skids...Right
                I usually don't use "kits" I change (new) the float needles, (PNM or Mikes) clean and use the jets that are in the carbs. Most people don't want to spend the money for me to clean em much less for parts. I will put in what ever they want. The carbs on my bike doesn't even have float needles changed.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Hey Strayla,

See this recent thread about carb kits! , might find it useful!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The kit # is:
                    XS1100 1979
                    CARB REP KIT: K-622
                    18-2581
                    I don't know where the guy got it from or how much he paid.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                    X