Need better seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need better seat

Does anyone know if there is a good touring seat out there for a XJ1100J..?....stock is about ready to kill me if i go more than 75 miles.....Thanks in advance.....teleman82
    M.T.R MAXIM

See this thread for some ideas. Also, the search function does work! Try searching for replacement seat or such, and see what shows up!

There are places you can send you seat to for customizing, replacement foam, etc., but rather pricey!

Also, being able to change positions to take pressure points off your butt can help, like forward mounted cruisepegs, etc.!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

May have a hard time finding a seat you like. Currently an XJ seat on Ebay. Might do good to get one and customize it or have it done at a local shop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...36001830QQrdZ1

mro

Item number: 160136001830
      Last edited by mro; 07-08-2007, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Replacement seat for an XJ1100

Does anybody know if a 1100 virago mustang seat will fit the
        XJ ?......I rode my brothers shadow with a mustang seat and it was great. Of course Mustang doesn't list a seat for such an old bike as an XJ.....will try the sheepskin if i can find some. somthings gotta give , and i think it's going to be my posterior.
        M.T.R MAXIM

Comment

Diamond Seat Co. in Florida will make you a made to measure custom seat. $400, and worth it if you ride much at all. Mine is so comfortable I forget it's there. I had a Mustang seat before that. It was a brick. If you like your bike, you're gonna like the Diamond seat. Google for 'em.
          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Ditto on the Diamond seat. I've had one on my XJ since 2001. After getting the bike in late 1999 and riding the stock, but recovered, OEM seat I was ready for a replacement. Their web site is http://www.diamondseats.com/index.html

The other major seat manufacturers, Corbin and Seargent, no longer make an XJ seat. Corbin was, for a while, making a custom seat if you supplied the pan but I believe they have discontinued this service.

Diamond uses a fiberglass seat pan so you can keep the original. However, you do need to move the 2 'fingers' that lock the seat to the bike off the old seat onto the new one.

Diamond will ask you for your height, weight, and inseam and will mold a seat to those specs. They use a variable-foam system, so can vary the density to give you a custom seat. They can also do the same for the passenger pillion if you wish. About the only thing they can't do is supply a seat with a built-in backrest. They can do this for other bikes / seats, but not the XS / XJ.

Note: I am, going on past experience, having bought my seat several years ago. Best if you contact them and see what they have available now.

Took my seat a few hundred miles to break in, but it was worth the cost, $419.00 (included shipping and a cover) at the time.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Diamond seat

They list XS/XJ seats as available...but no pics.
              Could you guys post a pic of your Diamond seat?

mro

Comment

Quite a while back I did a comparison to the XJ seat. See:
                http://idisk.mac.com/jerryfields/Pub...eat/index.html

Hope that helps. Photography is not all I could wish.....
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

Hey Jerry,

Which one is which? Is the blood red diamond patterned seat on the left the DIAMOND seat?? It looks very much like the POS JCW/ Travelcade K/Q one I got 6 years ago!?!? However mine probably has a much more pathetic quality of foam in it, not to mention the true contour of the seat as well! I'm gonna save that link for later! Thanks for the info and product report!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

I really need to do a new write-up and take some better photos.....

BTW, a secret...if you click on either of the photos at the top of the page they open up into slightly larger photos with a couple differnt views. To subtle for most people, I guess.....

Actually, it is a pretty good seat. My wife laughs at me whenever I mention it, a $420.00 seat on a $650.00 motorcycle, but has seen me though about 35,000 miles. Starting to fade a bit, may send it back in this fall and have it recovered. Price of the seat included your choice of insert, and they even sent me color swatches to choose from.

Have the OEM seat, had planned to swap back and forth, OEM for short hops, or commuting, Diamond for long-haul. Can't make myself ride the old seat, even for short trips....
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.

Comment

Dittos on the Diamond. I've ridden Pop's numerous times. As a matter of fact KONG! is currently in my shop. And it's true..Diamonds are a girls best freind. You put your "gal" on that seat an she'll throw rocks at the OEM!

However if you want a more customized looking seat check out Sargent's custom services. I had the seat on Zilla tricked by Sargent. It is very comfortable (not like Diamond) but good for me and it looks "current" and slightly"trick".

I have photos posted around here somewhere.

Ah yes...here's a shot...

Sargent uses Super Cell foam for the rebuild. It's firm and supportive yet soft. You bottom doesn't fatigue too bad. They will build the saddle as wide or narrow as you want...on the drver or pillion or both.

Sargent seats ...click the custom services link at teh top of the page. They did mine for $275 using my old pan.
                      Last edited by MAXIMAN; 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Hey Maximan,

Did that Sargent seat give you more leg room? Is it a tad higher than the stock seat?

My knees are up in the air right now and I need more room.

Leon
                        1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                        2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Leon,

Maximan has "left the building", so you'll need to find some photos of OEM XJ's and compare the position of the back rest portion of the rider with the above custom seat, note their position in reference to the shock mount bolt!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

I PM'd him and he replied.

I sent Sargent an email with some photos and will call them tomorrow.

P.S. I spent an hour+ on the phone with The High Priest today, originally to ask about him redoing the seat and giving me more room. But we ventured far and wide in the conversation. He's great to talk to.
                            1982 XJ1100J Maxim
                            2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X