float height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float height

Just into my carbs, well several times actually, set the floats at 25 MM I see some set as low as 23 MM......will be taking the bike out tomorrow for a ride to see whats what, been a quiet biking season for me with the new motor and all the grief from the carb kit thats now uninstalled.....hoping for some better performance
    Bruce
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Hey Bruce,

The "E" and "F" series uses the taller ~25mm setting, whereas the G,H series uses the lower 23mm setting. So if you've got the earlier carbs, then it should work fine with your 25 setting!

Now get out there and ride! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC

OK I will leave it at that. Gonna go for a long ride tomorrow, take some tools with me just in case, cant imagine what could breakdown, everthing has been apart several times.....by the way TC, got your fuseblock and installed it the same day, took me all of 10 min, looks a lot better with it installed, thanks for sending it!
      Bruce
      78 XS1100 with a 79 Heart
      Bruce Doucette
      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Desert, I tried to drop you a PM the other day but your mailbox was full. IIRC, I've got Tsunami's floats set down to about 26mm and it made all the diffeence in the world. No fouled plugs, 20-25% increase in gas mileage. These bikes are really sweet when you get them dialed in!
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Sweet they are

Right on Ken! Just a little more dialing for me. I know the bike has tremendous power but does like gas, I may have to raise to 26MM, I ran out of gas two weeks ago far sooner than I should have perhaps the float level had something to do with it....well I'm at work right now so gotta go, 1st I will do some deleting in the mailbox......thanks once again for your help fellow friends and XSives!
          Bruce
          Grinding away in the old flour mill, shoulder to the wheel nose to the grindstone!
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Here's an accurate way to measure fuel levels if the brass floats are dodgy, eg twisted. Similar to the clear tube trick.

1. loosen all 16 bowl screws then lightly firm them again.

2. set the carb bank level in a padded vice, holding an outside pair only.

3. slowly fill a pair of bowls with fuel thru the fuel hose till the hose backs up. valves are then shut.

4. lower fuel hose, then slowly remove the bowls without spilling a drop!

5. measure from bowl top to fuel level inside

Comment

Working...
            X