Might as well face it. 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might as well face it. 2nd gear

I've searched the tech tips but I'm limited on tools and need repair manuals. Does anyone have a list, or can you please tell me what special tools I need and all gaskets, seals needed to do a tranny 2nd gear fix? I know I need exhaust gaskets, left and right side cover gaskets. Should I get replacement lock washers/clips? I guess I'm asking for a complete special tool and replacement parts list. thanks in advance
    Dan

I want my 2nd gear back!
    80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
    Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
    I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Hey Dan,

Did you scroll down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE to This Tech Tip/Pictorial?
    You should be able to figure out what you need by seeing what's done and the parts/sections you need to remove to get to the tranny, ie. shift cover, clutch cover, tranny pan.

Also, IF you've got close to 50K miles on your machine, you might want to look into the clutches, friction discs, and new springs, if not even an extra Steel Plate! Also, check out your 1st gear, you might be surprised to find a considerable amount of wear there, and would be a PITA to fix 2nd, just to have to go back in to repair 1st a short while later!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

One of the better 2nd gear fix pages belongs to Ken Talbot:

http://www.rctvonline.net/~xs11/

Look down the list a bit and there is a parts list with Yamaha number for the most commonly replaced parts.
      I have an addendum there called 2nd gear fix on an XJ...some personal observatons...Jerry Fields which includes a list of tools I used. You can go directly to the addendum on this link:

http://www.rctvonline.net/~xs11/seco...addendum8.html

If you have not already done so, look though the other articles on this topic on Ken's page. Once ou do you will be pretty well prepared to tackle the transmission fix.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

TC, Jerry
        Thanks for these links, I missed the Ken Talbot one. I will get a clymers to help and also print info from these links along with pictures. Im NOT ready for this
        80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
        Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
        I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

It's easy///

I planned a 3 day weekend to do the first MC repair job which was to be the 2nd gear fix. Only took one day and half, rode the rest of the weekend. I do recommend doing the first gear at the same time, I didn't and had to do it later, PITA Hardest part is getting the shifting forks back in, trick is to tie 'em up just below the secondary shaft before you put it in then slide them in place.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...