Message to MRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message to MRO

MRO- you told BrownBear that you would take his carbs and sync them on one of your bikes if he shipped them to you.Would you be interested in doing that for me? I would definitely pay you for your services.Just wondering.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Hey Yam,

As MRO said, it would get "him" started, to a starting point, but "he" would still need to vacuum synch them on "his" machine, because each engine flows differently due to ring/valve wear, timing, etc.! For the cost of shipping them to and back from MRO you can invest in a set of vacuum gauges and do it yourself!

Not poo pooing MRO's offer, he's helped another member get his carbs in working order, is very good, etc.! He'll probably chime in here saying the same thing I've just said, it's only a starting point!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TopCat- I used to have a guy that did all my work but he will only will do current bikes.I never did carb syncing before, wish me luck!
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Hey Yam,

Vac. Synch is right up your job line...."Maintenance" and you're a mechanic...no problem! And I bet if you posted a message, you'd find some Xsives in the "Jersey" area to assist you!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TopCat I'am a printing press mechanic. I fix early 1900's German Heidelberg printing presses that i have personally converted from ink to foil stamping presses.I do dabble in a little bit of everything but never carb syncing.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Carb sync'ing isn't rocket science.
            You'll need four vacuum gauges (dial or mercury, really dosen't matter. I use mercury sticks) and a source of fuel. The vacuum to your petcocks will not be available for the petcocks. A large fan blowing over the engine helps cut-down on overheating.
            Hook the four gauges to the four vacuum fittings on the carb boots. Keep them in order right to left, it's just easier. Start the bike, DON'T REV IT (if you're using mercury it will be sucked out of the tool and you'll have to get more mercury).
            Look at the gauges and note if they have different readings (the actual numbers don't matter, the goal is to have them all read the same when you're done).
            If #1 and 2 are different then they need to be adjusted (ignore 3 & 4 at this time). There is an adjustment screw between 1 & 2 near the front (engine) side of the carbs. Turn this screw until the gauges read the same. The gauges will probably be bouncing a bit so really close counts, so they don't have to be exact. (On my bike the reading changes with the pressure of the screwdriver so they should be close when you're not touching the bike).
            When 1 & 2 are good then do the same thing with #3 & 4 (ignore 1 & 2). The adjustment screw is between 3 & 4.
            Now 1 & 2 should read the same and 3 & 4 should read the same (though 1-2 might be different than 3-4).
            Now adjust 1-2 to 3-4. The adjustment screw for this is between 2 & 3.
            You may have to go through this a few times to get them all the same. 1 & 2, then 3 & 4, then 1-2 to 3-4.
            Syncing the carbs sets them to all do equal amount of work. When they're out of sync then one cylinder is doing most of the work and the others are doing (progressively) less.

On a controversal note, I sync my carbs at about 2000 RPM using my cruise control to hold the higher idle (not the idle adjustment screw). My reason for this is the sensativity of the adjustment on my. I found (on my bike) that when I GENTLY raised the RPM after syncing the readings changed as the throttle cable pulled-up on the inner carbs and the outer carbs then followed.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

but never carb syncing.

For the cost of shipping them to and back from MRO you can invest in a set of vacuum gauges and do it yourself!
              If all else is well with your carbs.....
              Pretty sure you will be very happy with results the first time you do it yourself. Actually the BS34 carbs are not complicated and the only special tool needed is a synchronizer (plus yicks tool for XJ).
              Where newbie's seem to have a problem....
              Sync screw on carb #1 only adjusts carb #1
              Sync screw on carb #2 adjusts both #1 and #2 together
              Sync screw on carb #4 only adjusts carb #4
              No sync screw on #3

Adjust #4 to #3
              Then adjust #1 to #2
              Then when you do #2 to #3 (screw on #2 adjusts both #1 and #2 together)
              As you adjust one carb to another, sometimes one you’ve just done may change a little and need to be re-adjusted.

As your adjusting em, RPM may change. Keep RPM the same (around 1000/1200)
              Leave sync tool attached when done.
              Good time to adjust pilot screws.
              I adjust idle as low as it will go and engine still run relatively smoothly, then adjust pilots (matters not what order pilots adjusted) After adjusting a pilot screw check RPM and adjust as needed and then do the next one.
              After pilots adjusted...re-check sync and adjust as needed.
              Set idle speed with main idle screw.
              Remove sync tool and test ride.

mro
              btw, I sync em with the air box/filter installed and a box fan blowing on engine....
              Last edited by mro; 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Carb sync'ing isn't rocket science.

and a source of fuel
                I just place a piece of 2X4 where tank bolt is to hold up tank and put petcocks to prime.

On a controversal note
                I agree that if your throttle shaft has some "play" between carbs this might be a good idea. I've not noticed this on an XS yet...

mro

Comment

I have. During sync of #1 & #2 I notice that a little downward pressure on the adjustment would change the reading. I still sync at idle but it takes a little longer. I have noticed some build up around the throttle shaft seals so they are going to be replaced. Afterward I will see it the downward pressure does the same thing.

Dave
                  wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                  81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                  82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                  81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X