No announcement yet.

Pepe's Latest Beverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like all those idiots that pull thier mufflers off and FEEL the extra power ROFL.
    I guess kinda like when my bike ran like a lead pig until I drilled out 4 large holes in the baffles in the mufflers on my bike and all the sudden it came to life? I guess that was my imagination also.

Psychology has nothing to do with the amount of force my a@@ gets pressed back into a seat and how much more force it takes to hold the handlebars. I ride this bike every day and have gotten to know it pretty well. When something different happens, I notice it. The guys standing off to the side telling you that nothing has changed or the exact OPPOSITE has happened... are the ones that make psychology a wonderful thing.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I guess you don't understand psychology.

Your brain can tell you your airborne, doesn't mean it's true.

As for drilling holes in your mufflers and getting a boost, only if they were plugging up before.

There are always situations where it works, but that only means that the vehicle was not set up right to start with. If your running way rich, and you uncork the headers, you may get a bit of a boost. However, if you tune right in the first place it won't happen.

As for the premium fuel, if your engine was tuned for the premium, and so ran crappy on regular, chances are you were about to crack a piston, since the only thing premium does is reduce ping and detonation.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I guess you don't understand psychology.

Kind of like when someone is sitting there saying something can't happen when it REALLY is? You are making my point exactly when I stated in the first posting here. When there is a significant change I can feel (No, my brain isn't telling me I'm flying) and someone is off to the side telling me that it's not real... Well, that's when I gotta call BullS&#@! When you FEEL the bike accelerating faster and can HEAR the bike accelerating faster... it's not the person riding the bike that needs the psychologist.

We could sit and debate this on and on, but it wouldn't help. If you ride your own bike enough and get to know it well enough.. you will notice when things are different. It isn't a wishful thinking type thing. I WISH my bike ran better on the cheaper stuff... it's just not the facts. This is like someone telling me what type of bullet my gun will shoot best... it's the gun that will let me know, not all the balistics charts and engineers telling me so. Same thing with the bike.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

SOTP meter is much like the calibrated human arm torque-wrench...usually *way* off. The only way to prove such a claim is on a dyno. However, like others have stated, if your bike is advancing the spark (I dunno how XJ's work), then it's also possible that you are making better use of high octane fuel...
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

But again, hgh octane fuel, by itself IS NOT CAPABLE OF PRODUCING MORE POWER! Your telling us that your bike is magic. It can get more power out of less explosive fuel. Next you'll be telling us you get better fuel mileage out if it too!

If the bike was so out of tune that the new fuel is making it run 'better', then what he was feeling before was probably a sharp harmonic vibration (ping, detonation) trying to destroy his engine. Unfortunately, if you had so much carbon build-up, or your timing was that far advanced, you wouldn't have put very many miles on it before it self-destructed.

Putting in high test, the engine may have smoothed out a little, but that's all it can do.

Now you can sit there all day saying your getting more power, and any chemist will tell you your insane. As Snow said, get it on a Dyno and show us. Otherwise, your imagination is working overtime.

Just like smokers will tell you they feel better when they smoke!

'05 ST1300

Comment

well well

I am a chemist and all I can say is now that I have put back in the cheapie 87 octane, Pepe fizzles out at 125-130mph PERIOD.....Maybe I had a Good wind that day, Maybe the dense air due to extreme high humidity (so crazy hot here after the massive rain) slowed me down today I don't know....One thing's for sure, I won't be buying anymore shell 101 oct at $5.49 per U.S. gallon when 87 oct from the 7-11 makes no difference between 70-90 mph where most of my riding is done....
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock
              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk

Just like smokers will tell you they feel better when they smoke!
                Depends on what yer smokin, eh
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Not really, none of it does anything REAL!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Well, down here at the pump, around 98 is the high stuff, 91 the low stuff, I've tried em' all on the bike, motor has wiseco pistons, skimmed head, motor runs hotter than stock, also 2 stage colder plugs, BP8's, timing advanced a few degrees also.

Just the combination you'd expect the high stuff to have an advantage over the low stuff - BUT, NOT A SHRED OF DIFFERENCE in performance between either! The beast handles any octane that gets thrown in it with no change, low or high. Have compared tank for tank many times out of curiosity, blah! extra bucks but no extra mph's there!

Different story in a modern 4 cylinder jappo car though, where you NEED to run the high stuff. Run the low stuff and the tappets start clicking like crazy under any sort of load.

Comment

lol, that's not the tappets!

I found the same in my 502/502.

502hp, 9.5:1 compression, Aluminum heads, Holley 850 VS, Edelbrock Intake, Forged Crank, TRW Pistons, Holley electric fuel pump, Hooker Comp series Headers, Dual 3" exhaust w/ xover, 2.25" Intake vavles, 1.9 exhaust. Recurved distributor w/36deg total.

This engine calls for premium, but after extensive testing it runs as well, if not better on regular, and we've not detected any ping even under full throttle 1/4 mile runs.

Pulls the 3800lb Monte Carlo down the 1/4 in 12.2-12.4 sec at 109-117mph.

Considering I have to drive 200 miles to the dragstrip, and back, it's a lot cheaper to run on regular too.

The other problem is that if your local station is not refilling the premium tank at least once a week, the octone will be considerably lower than advertised, as the additives that increase the octane evaporate.

Most towns, near a racetrack, will have one station where all the racers, that need premium, go to as they know the gas is 'fresh'.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by pggg
                        Well, down here at the pump, around 98 is the high stuff, 91 the low
                        I *believe* the US has a different formula for octane rating than NZ and the EU, but I could be mistaken.
                        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Working...
                        X