Issue when starting bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue when starting bike

Hey there guys. Had the Maxim out today again. Honestly its been a while since i ran her and had it on the road. She has been sitting for almost a month after having the new tires put on. Anyway started her up today and encountered the same problem on three occasions. Once when i first fired her up and then again after the bike was sitting for some time. The problem is that when the bike is warming up with the choke on and the rpms up it will run like this for a few minutes till it eventually dies. The bike is then hard to start with the choke on and actually does not seem to want to start at this point. I then turned the choke off and the bike would not run because the motorcycle is still too cold at this point. The only solution that would work was to put the fuel petcocks into the reserve position. The bike would then run however I would have to return the choke back on. I returned the petcocks into the on position. eventually after a few minutes back and forth with this procedure the bike became "warm" enough and idled and ran just fine. Any ideas? Carbs were cleaned out few months ago but bike sat around for a little bit after that. once warmed up the bike runs like a dream what do you think

I suspect that you are letting the petcock issue cloud the real issue.
    when the bike is warming up with the choke on and the rpms up it will run like this for a few minutes till it eventually dies
    The choke/enrichener is used to start the bike. When you run the bike "...for a few minutes..." with the choke on, yes, eventually, it'll flood out and die. And yes, the bike then would be hard to restart. The bike will not want to run as the plugs are fouled.
    Fiddling with the petcocks may just be wasting time, but time for the plugs to possably dry enough to feebly fire.
    Remedy: Put in new sparkplugs, as I can imagine yours are fuel fouled.
    Starting: Give full choke and hit the button. While the bike is running, put on your jacket and zip it up. By this time, the RPM is starting to rise.
    Set the choke to the half position... and put on your helmet and sunglasses.
    Now, turn the choke all the way off, get on and ride away.
    That's just about how long it should take to warm up an engine.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Ok followed your advice today and it worked so much better! Its funny just never thought that it would be ready to ride in such a short ammount of time. Maybe its partly because im used to my 2000 suzuki bandit. Id start it with the same procedure as you described but if i shut off the choke too early the bike would die and i would have to let it warm up longer. This has led me to letting the bike run longer with the choke open. I will try again with both bikes soon. But had the maxim out today and using your tips made 100% difference. I suspected the bike was flooding but I just was going on past experience with my other bike.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X