Plastic gas tank coating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic gas tank coating?

Anybody had any experience with getting their tank coated inside with a plastic coating? Elizabeth Radiator (elizabethradiator.com) in Elizabeth PA., specilaize in this and will do it for $35. They say they can do it without damaging the paint. I am considering doing this so any input would be greatly appreciated. (I've read the tech tip on using kreem) Thanks
    Bruce Heckert
    1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
    1988 Honda GL 1500
    2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
    1981 Honda CM200T
    2012 Honda CBR250-sold
    2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Bruce, that is all Kreeme, Caswells, or POR is.. a plastic, or epoxy, coating. If they can do it for $35 and guarantee the paint won't get damaged I say go for it. I did mine, and would have gladly paid $35 by the time I got done. Just make sure that they are going to clean and etch the inside of the tank to remove the rust first.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks for the input Brian, The price sounded pretty good to me too after reading tech tech tip on all thats involved in doing it myself. Can use the extra time to fix and paint the lowers, saddlebags and trunk I just picked up. Speaking of which, any advise on fixing a cracked lower and/or painting them?
      Bruce Heckert
      1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
      1988 Honda GL 1500
      2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
      1981 Honda CM200T
      2012 Honda CBR250-sold
      2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Comment

Do it yourself? It's not easy but it's simple, cost about the same-
        but you know what you got at the end. My wife and I used the kit from Eastwood Company to do the tank on her Shadow. We taped the tank with two layers of purple body shop tape and a layer of clear packaging tape to protect it in case we spilled any of the muriatic acid or other chemicals. It's a "once you start don't stop process". Do it yourself or someone like me will buy the bike for a song like I have so many times after owners have been burned by someone who does it for a livin'. After all you are a member of the best support site on the net. Hey, its winter- Do It!
        xjguy and "Gone with the Wind"

Comment

Working...
        X