Carb Jet Sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Jet Sizes

I have a 1980 Standard with pod filters, stock 4-1 exhaust that I will be turning into a straight pipe. What main and pilot jet sizes do you suggest I switch to?
    80XS11G (heavily modified) "Snot Rokkit"

Deuces Wild
    Custom Paint & Body
    1200 N. Wall Sreet
    Calhoun, GA 30701
    770-608-3779

Personally i wouldnt use a str8 pipe the engine needs back pressure to be tuned right......I have also heard rumors of burnt exhaust valves from lack of back pressure.....maybe some one here can confirm or clear that up....Cheers
    1982 XS1100R
    1982 XJ650
    1983 VT400
    1990 XVS Shadow
    1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

The reason I say straight pipe is because this bike is done up bobber style. King Sportster tank, pod filters, drag bars, painted wheels, custom rear fender, custom metal side panels, model a tail light and liscense plate custom side mounted, harley 11.5" Sportster shocks, etc. Straight pipe would be my first choice, but I may put a GSXR muffler on. Audijunky runs two straight pipes with bigger jets and has no problems and I like the look of it. I would of course do the washer/bolt mod in the pipe if I straight pipe it.

Deuces Wild
      Custom Paint & Body
      1200 N. Wall Sreet
      Calhoun, GA 30701
      770-608-3779

Comment

Hey Roach,

If you know or have seen Patrick's Succubus, then you've been around the site, but apparently you've missed this tech tip in the Mods,Carbs section?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Actually, I just plain forgot about that thread. I read it a while back before I was even thinking of doing this. Thanks for reminding me and posting a link!

With my bike having a factory 4-1 exhaust, do I need to overlook the 2 jet sizes it calls for there, and just add the 2 size for the open headers? Or do I need to add for the 4-1 AND the open header?
          Last edited by roach25681; 07-04-2007, 06:15 PM.

Deuces Wild
          Custom Paint & Body
          1200 N. Wall Sreet
          Calhoun, GA 30701
          770-608-3779

Comment

Hey Roach,

Regrettably, it's just a guide, not a bible. It states that when 2 mods, you add both but then subtract one, so 2+2+3-1=6!?
            That seems a bit much to me, but as he says........

you'll still need to monitor your plugs and make adjustments accordingly! Good Luck!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I'm only talkin' 34mm 78' carbs here, the 80 carbs are possibly different, but even with all the 'breathe easy' goodies, going up one size on pilot jets and one or two sizes on the main jets is all you'll ever need on the normal 1100cc motor, I experimented with 147.5's and even 150's and over, but they simply run too rich even though the plugs may look 'clean' at a high rev plug chop. Actually high speed plug chops are really more of a 2 stroke thing. Chopping the plugs at midrange on the eleven gives a much better picture of what's going on in there. Go just one tiny size over on jets - and fuel economy starts taking a big dive

Comment

In the 80 carbs, the stock sizes are 115 for 1 & 4 and 120 for 2 & 3. I figured Id go up 2 or 3 sizes on the mains and one on the pilots. Thanks for all the help.

Deuces Wild
                Custom Paint & Body
                1200 N. Wall Sreet
                Calhoun, GA 30701
                770-608-3779

Comment

Tagging along here....I am unable to find accurate figures on my stock jet sizes. The range of jets included in rebuild kits greatly deviates from one of the lists in the tech tips section.

Anyone know what stock jet sizes are for an 81 XS1100 SH?

I figure once I get the sizes I can begin to adjust for aftermarket air filters, exhaust, and the 5000 ft above see level thing.
                  1981 XS1100 SH

Comment

Orion, assuming your carbs are the stock 81 Model carbs, your jets should be 115 for #1&4 and 120 for #2&3. Pilot jets should be #42.5

Deuces Wild
                    Custom Paint & Body
                    1200 N. Wall Sreet
                    Calhoun, GA 30701
                    770-608-3779

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the reply, and apologies for hijacking the thread. One last thing, anyone think I should go up jet sizes per "the guide"? I'm running pretty rich with the current set up due to the altitude.
                      1981 XS1100 SH

Comment

Do not be suprised if when you take the carbs apart and you find 110 mains all the way across on a set of stock 81 carbs. Mine were from the factoy and that's what they still have in them.
                        wingnut
                        81 SH (Daily Ride)
                        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Wondering what emulsion tubes did you have with 110 all the way across?
                          --Nick

Comment

Sorry Nick I do not know. I haven't been in the carbs in 2 years and did not know enough back then to even look at the tube numbers. Do remember lots of little holes had to be cleance out though
                            wingnut
                            81 SH (Daily Ride)
                            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

No problem, I think the tubes with less holes go in the middle, I just wanted to make sure. But now that I am reading all the posts about GSXR carbs, maybe I'll skip my carbs alltogether
                              --Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X