Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb. Interchangeability/Lesson Learned/Carb. Need

A lesson learned and a question:
    The lesson is that the I have a set of carbs. off a XS1100SG for which everything was frozen. ie floats, pins, and even the needles. In reading the threads I was able to get all the float pins out without breaking a post. I was more concerned with breaking the posts and not thinking about the pilot jet sleaves. BUT, two of pilot jets were realllly frozen and after much putting on carb. cleaner, break free and oil I finally drilled and used an easy out but learned out brittle the "alum. material" is for not one but two of them (#2 and #4) I broke the sleave in which the jet fits. My mistake being I used two big an easy out for the smaller one was just drilling into the jet. I probably should have even waited longer for the oils to penetrate and work. or chucked up the easy out and tried to shock the jet??" But, the crud revealed when they broke away was bad. I am thinking these carbs may have been so bad I may have never gotten them clean. The rebuild kits for them are also unique and expensive.
    Question:
    I have a set of carbs for a '79XS1100SF that should fit the '80 and wanted some input on if they will work on the '80? I am also planning on using pod type airl filters and will use filters on the breather lines from the carbs. and PVC line.
    Need:
    I then would like to get another set of carbs that depending on the answer/comments to my above question I could use on the '79 or '80 or an '81. The only noticeable differences in the carbs that I am aware of, other than the needle valve assembly differences, is that the earlier ones have bowl breathers and 52 vrs 54 mm air filter openings. But, are not the engines basically the same and hopefully one can use any of the discussed carbs interchangeably? Would like to some day get one of them running.
    Anyone out there have a set of carbs they would part with?

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! Borg..ha ha!

Hey Gene,

Some of the other differences are in the type of float needle valve and seat assembly. Also, the vacuum slide is a different size/diameter, so you can't swap 80-81 for 78-79! The availability and inexpensiveness of the 80-81 vacuum slides could be a determining factor. The later carbs also have the float bowl vent built into the body, and vents thru the inlet bell....you'll notice 4 small holes instead of 3! The slide needle is not EASILY adjusted, just can use some washers for shims IF you want to move it up=richen it vs. stock! Also, the later model carbs have separate channels for the main and pilot jets, that's why the pilot jet tower is usually NOT blocked off on the 80+ carbs, it feeds directly from the bowl. The 78-79 and some funky early 80 carbs share the fuel from the MAIN jet tower to the pilot jet thru a small channel between the jet towers, and so the Pilot jet tower is to be capped off! This is why the earlier carbs have larger mains. You jet the mains according to the type of carbs you have, and then for the mods ie. pipes, indy filters, etc.!

You can use any bank of carbs from any year on any model XS11, just have to ensure you allow for the proper venting of the float bowls via the upper "T"s on the earlier models, and the float height is different.

So....depending on the condition of the broken carbs OTHER PARTS, you might want to get a set of that same style/year so that you could have some more spare parts from the broken set!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
    X