Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'78E won't run, troubleshooting questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '78E won't run, troubleshooting questions...

I just got this old gnarled '78E a couple of weeks ago. The motor turns over freely. Sounds perhaps like there could be something loose (chain possibly) in the lower left hand side of the engine. Is this a final drive chain or something?

Anyhow, when connecting the bike to a car battery, I'm only getting six volts at the ignition switch and the bike just sits there.

Where is the best place to start? I can easily clean all of the switches, but why only six volts? Is it possible that the ignition resistor is faulty or something?

What other obvious things are there to try?

Ben (waiting for an ordered big bore kit)
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Check all the connectors. These bikes (and all old jap bikes) are prone to corrosion in the connectors.

Also check the connection between the ground cable and the frame, as well as the cable terminals.

Also, you said "connected to a car battery". Is there a motorcycle battery in the bike? Jumper cables often won't give you enough juice to start it without a receiving battery, and if you do get it started and loose the jumper cable connection with no battery in your bike, you will fry the voltage regulator. Put a battery in it if you do not already have one.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

I just recieved a Yamaha XS11 repair manual. If you send me your email address via personal message or email, I'll scan and send you a few pages.

On these you can find all the info you need (voltages and resistances that you can measure to check the electrical system).

Primary chains can be stretched... mine did so for bout 1 inch (primary chain, not camchain). But check for clutch rattle etc first. Also check the pick-up coil clearancies.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
      X