Tranny Part Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Part Numbers

The famous 2nd gear failure hit my 80 XS1100. I've read all the post on the repair but want to buy new parts from the dealer. Of course the dealer is a lost cause, they gave me a list of parts a mile long. Can anyone provide the info on exactly what parts I need?
    1980G Tourer

Hey Larry,

These are the 4 main gear wheels that fail. The 2nd and 5th gears are what cause 2nd gear slippage.

But, 1st and 4th gears are also prone to same type of wear, and IF 2nd is gone, 1st can also be very worn, would hate to see you have to go into it again after repairing 2nd, just to do it again for 1st!

Also, shop around, your local dealer will most likely NOT have the best prices. Try www.cycle-parts.com just put in the part numbers, you can search for ALL 4 at same time, and get price quotes. You can order them from them when your order is $75.00 or more....used to be a $100.00 limit, but I think they recently lowered it! They aren't cheap, but are supposed to have all of the dogs undercut instead of straight cut!

2H7-17221-01-00 2nd gear wheel
    2H7-17251-00-00 5th gear wheel

2H7-17211-00-00 1st gear wheel
    2H7-17241-00-00 4th gear wheel

Might as well replace the clutches, springs while in there also!!
    T.C.

BTW, did you SCROLL DOWN FROM THE MAIN FORUM page, instead just the Link in the left column? There are several new tips that are NOT LINKED from the left!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Your're right the parts are not cheap, over $400. I read the dremel tool info and thinking thats the way to go.
      1980G Tourer

Comment

Working...
      X