Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadkill's Update! w/ ride report!

UPDATE!

Well I'm proud to announce today was my first official motorcycle ride! just over 10 miles! ( I live in the county, so that was the closest gas station)

lets see here, i left everyone at the gas tank, i think.. well i bought the yamaha tank rejuvination kit from the dealer.. only cost 15 bucks.. acid rinsed the tank, and neutralized it, supposedly this also coats it.. ( WHAT A PAIN IN THE A$$) have a radiator shop do it if you can spare the few bucks more! so after many a leaks, I mounted it all up, now the petcocks leak.. I built little gaskets out of neoprene and now they are good to go..
    My Air box was flooded and leaking (pouring actually) so i drained, and took off the carbs again, adjusted the floats down a bit, and re assembled.. now the fuel line from the inline filters were leaking... hose clamps fixed that.. so.. i go to take my first ride and i just cant get it to take off in 2nd... my step dad goes for it and after a bit, he gets it going. He comes back says its a little hard but try it, i get on and literally cant get it again.. so we go to push it and realise the front caliper has siezed!..

okay so we took the caliper off, took out the pads and pumped the piston out, it was clean of burs and such.. still seems very hard to get the piston to go back in.. I think there is something still wrong with it. any suggestions?

Oh one more thing, my idle seems pretty high, whick way (clockwise, or counterclockwise) would slow that down? I'm guessing this is the idle screws? but i got it to idle pretty well after pulling the choke open a bit.

Well after murphy and his ugly head, it was still a successful day ending with my first trip to the gas station with a nice country sunset!

P.S. Dogs suck... im very glad i read what to do in the BMV motorcycle manual before hand. Also for those who mentioned it, i'm trying to get into a walk in at the ABATE class thursday.

Hey Roadkill,

Which caliper, left or right? The right one is controlled by the front MC, left is by the rear MC. In either case, sounds like the Spooge Hole in the MC is clogged, so it won't allow the release fo the piston, return fluid can't get back into the MC when you release the handle! See Tech Tips and search forum!

Main Idle Screw(one)...should only be one is turned CCW to lower idle! The other screws between the carbs are the synch screws, you don't want to be turning those without a set of gauges on it!

I hope you got real single walled FUEL line, not just vacuum line from the auto store, or you'll be seeing more leaks, and crud in your carbs as the lines break down internally, as well as harden, crack, etc.!

Congrats, you're almost there! T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey thanks again for all your help TopCat! and everyone else!

It's the right caliper, from the front handle, I'll check the tech tips on that.

so, the main idle screw, is that the large one in the center of the bank, that the accelerator cable plugs into?.. ill look into it tonight.and ccw, got it, but now, if its the screw im thinking of, its upside on the bike, so are we talking CCW as if i was looking at the screw from the bottom of the bike, or CCW as if i was sitting on the bike?

I did get fuel hose from the parts store, but they are very thick.. 5/16.. they do work fine though, other than the bulkiness of them being so thick.

Again thank you all for your help

Comment

RoadKill,
        Try an import parts store. Go with a 1/4" hose, or get some of the old VW type fuel hose. The walls are thinner, so it works easier.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Motorcycle shops have polyurethane line for about a buck a foot.
          nice to work with and can see through it ...
          your getting close !!

bob
          1979 XS1100 SPECIAL (under 18,000 miles Sold 5/12/2016
          1982 XJ1100 MAXIM(PARTS BIKE??)shows 14,000 miles ??? Up for sale whole or parts

Comment

Working...
          X