3 & 4 !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 & 4 !!!

My bike has not run smoothly for a while now and I am torn between electrics / carbs (don't want to do the carbs lol).

So today I started her up - normal running rough that I've come to expect and using a pair of pliers pulled of the spark plug leads one by one. 1 & 2 killed the bike instantly but 3 & 4 made no difference! Not what I was expecting.

I resoldered the pickup coil wires under the LH crank case and checked the connections and condition of the rest of the connections - not sure how to proceed now as I was expecting 1&3 or 2&4 to give me a problem.

Any thoughts?

Simon
    Si Parker
    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

The only thing common between 3&4 is fuel. Look for a kinked, clogged fuel line or petcock. OR the vacuum line to that petcock could be kinked / cut / off the nipple?

Comment

I switched the fuel tap to reserve and now it runs better - so guess I'll need to do the petcock at some stage. Still missing though and (strangely enough) now it's only #2 that doesn't make a difference. Plugs are brand new and #2 looks dry - carbs?? Hope not.
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Gee, maybe it needed to go to reserve? How much fuel is in the tank?

BTDT!

Comment

Not a huge amount but enough I would have thought, Still don't know which way to go on the #2 though.
          Si Parker
          '81 XS1100H

Comment

pulled the plug and turned the engine over - I am getting a spark!
            The exhaust seems as hot as the other three, does that mean I'm getting fuel? If so what else means when I pull the lead off while running the engine note doesn't change??
            I feel at a loss.
            Si Parker
            '81 XS1100H

Comment

What it probably means is that your pilot circuit is clogged, so at idle it's not contributing. But you are probably getting fuel thru the mains, so that it fires when you are revving above idle=warm/hot pipe.

Either run some SeaFoam in it, or tear it down and check/clean the pilot circuit!

Could also be a vacuum leak(boot), just mild enough to prevent the carb from being able to suck fuel at the lower rpms, but once rpms are up, it can then pull the fuel thru! I'm not speculating, this is/was a realworld occurance, just ask Patrick with regards to his SUCCUBUS!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. I'm going to get right on those checks after I show my kid how to change his oil.
                The old air filter that was on the bike when I bought it was absolutely filthy - I'm thinking some bit of crap has got through and blocked it up.
                What is seafoam? Do I add it to the fuel?
                Regardless of fixing this now or not - come winter I'm going to do a carb rebulid.
                Si Parker
                '81 XS1100H

Comment

sea-foam

Yes, it's an additive, I found a can of it at my locale hardware store, of all places.

But seen it since at some auto parts stores.

Good luck with those carbs, just make sure you do the "TRIPLE CLEAN"

take it from someone with experience with this, "TRIPLE CLEAN" and then one more time just for kicks,

You should be able to clean one in your sleep by the time your done, LOL
                  1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                  "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                  My Photo Bucket

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how I get on
                    Si Parker
                    '81 XS1100H

Comment

Oh Baby!!

Put the seafoam in as TC suggested, took her out and...... popped and banged for about five minutes then smoothed out now she's flying like greased weasel s#*t.
                      Next is my 4 - 1 but I've got to modify the oil cooler hoses to accomodate.
                      Just on a real high after all the work that she's had (the broken plug saga for those that remember) that I'm out and about again.

Want to thank all the gurus that have helped me and Andy if you're reading this - I haven't forgotten and will get something to you in the post tomorrow.

Simon

Si Parker
                      '81 XS1100H

Comment

Glad to hear it's running well, congratulations!
                        1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
                        "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
                        My Photo Bucket

Comment

Working...
                        X