Smoke coming off the engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke coming off the engine?

Come this Tuesday I'll be riding my H' across town to a local bike shop for the safety inspection, and a general going over. I've been starting it weekly at least for the last while to make sure all is well, and I noticed the first time I started it there was a lot of smoke coming off the engine. Well not a lot, but some. I assumed this was oil, grease etc just burning off a bike that has stood idle for many months at least.

It's still generating this engine smoke however, after many starts and I'm just wondering if that's indicative of something bad. Oil level is ok (about mid way), though I do notice a drip from the front of the engine, off of this mysterious thing there just below the (aftermarket?) oil cooler and between the exhaust headers.

So, is this drip a terrible thing? and is the engine smoke normal? I just need to get the beast across town on about a 45min (mostly highway) ride to the bike shop and I'd hate for it to blow up en route.

Any thoughts appreciated.

datter
    Rebuilt 1981 XS1100 H
    My story

Hey Datter,

That mysterious thing below the oil cooler is probably the bypass or thermostat for the cooler, don't know if it's automatic or if you have to mechanically adjust it.....probably automatic, but you could investigate the fittings and remove them, clean and put new teflon tape or such and reattach and tighten to help stop the leak??

You need to fire the bike up and take it for a ride to get it and keep it at operating temps long enough to thoroughly burn off any oily film residue that's on the pipes. However, I guess it needs to get inspected possibly before you CAN take it for a ride?? The ride across town should do just fine, and should burn it off before you get there, but IF you have fresh oil being squirted/dripped onto the pipes during running, it'll keep smoking!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey datter...........betting that oil is coming from the cam cahin tensioner housing, either from the gasket, plug in end or the lock nut and bolt. If it's from the plug, remove igition cover, rotate clockwise till on the 'C', remove tensioner housing. Clamp housing LIGHTLY in a vise, hold hand in front of plunger assembly, loosen lock bolt which will 'spit' out plunger and spring. Knock out plug in end of housing(from thr inside out). Clean everything up with brake-kleen, mix up a little J-B Weld, put on plug and inside of housing, insert plug from outside of housing, then spread rest of mixed J-B Weld smootly across front of housing and plug, let set-up over nite. Replace O-ring under lock bolt using 2 O-rings, first one small enough to fit recess in housing, next one a tad larger, install lock bolt while holding plunger completly recessed. Lock it in place with-out over tighening as you will strip threads in aluminum housing, put assembly back on bike, make sure timing mark is still on 'C',( if it's off a bit, install adjuster housing, release spring loaded plunger, rotate crank assembly clock-wise again untill mark properly aligns again, do not rotate other direction if you should go past mark.), after which loosen lock bolt allowing plunger to remove any remaining slack in chain. This adjustment should be done approx. every 3thousand miles. Either the housing gasket, plug in end, or the O-ring under lock nut is your oil seeping culprit. There is no oil pressure there, which is why it will just give you an occasional drip, which can make front of motor messy looking after a bit.
      Last edited by motoman; 06-30-2007, 12:45 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
      X