Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carburetion or advance issue?

If I could get an XSive opinion on this one:

My 79 SF alternates between what feels like slight engine power "ups and downs" while at speed under very light throttle, less than 1/4 or so. This is very subtle, but still noticeable. It's tightly synched, and colortuned pretty much spot on. I'll double check, but the spark is pretty strong. (accel coils, solid core wires, NOS pickups and NGK Iridium IX plugs at .040 along with a NOS centrifugal advance mechanism) I was thinking about checking the vacuum advance. It's not the drivetrain lash, I've gotten used to our clunky XS's. Perhaps a diaphragm? Thoughts/ideas?
    2010 Kawasaki Z1000
    1979 SF: Millennium Falcon, until this Saturday

Try this

Take off the left side cover and observe if the vac advance is moving up and down while you are experiencing the problem.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

A subtle 'surging' under steady light throttle - sounds like a lean condition to me, (although possibly pinholes in a slide diaphragm) Raising the slide needles one notch or alternatively going up a size on the pilot and/or mainjet can smooth the fuel delivery if that's the case, but check the vac-timing operation anyway..

PS .. TC's gonna roll his eyes at this one - but Tom, you're NOT running inline filters by any chance?
      Last edited by pggg; 06-28-2007, 06:19 PM.

Comment

When you color tuned it did you go for the "perfect" blue flame? I read this where I bought mine. It is part of the how to use color tune that was posted by the seller.

On the Yamaha XS1100s folks have discovered that cobalt blue settings don't run well on this bike. The engine on this machine likes a bit more fuel (a little richer). So tuners here go for just the emergence of a yellow //flame. Achieve this setting by turning the idle mixture screw. Left is richer / right is leaner (on every carburetor I've ever worked on!).

Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Could also be ur float levels

check this link out
          its been on here b4
          and is a good read

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X