X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• four nipples

79sf
    carbs
    i have four nipples, though i do remeber only using the bottom two nipples four fuel. but she has another set of nipples.

what are the two other nipples for???
    should they be capped?
    maybe maha's octo-puss is missing some rubber?
    One of a kind SF

(Do not take advice from this man)

The upper set of nipples go to the small nipples on the top, front of the airbox. they are carb bowl vents and must not be blocked of. Do you still have the airbox in place?

Comment

no i dont have the airbox. i've heard both ways. i dont have one.

should i screen off these nipples?

also I saw searching, yay. and found some diagrams of bypassin the octo-puss, (fuel filters, t-fittings)?
      whats the advantage? the diagrams didnt not show 2 fuel lines per petcock?
      do you only need one line? or does this require/solve a diffrent tank on XS carbs?
      One of a kind SF

Comment

It is imperitive that the bowl vents be kept open. You can place small filters in the end of them, and hide them under the fuel tank.
        I have two different ways of by-passing the octopus. Each way works fine. Do a search for bypassing the octopus, and there should be plenty of info to be found. I have a few posts concerning how I do it. I just don't feel like typing it all out again.
        Last edited by John; 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Someone said four nipples and I just thought of this. I'm surprised Prom hasn't chimed in on this thread yet.
          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Can you make her do the hula dance?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey Ed,

The front tank petcock nipple is for the PRIME circuit directly to the carbs when using the Octopus. When you bypass it, you don't need that one IIRC! The run and reserve runs out of the back nipple.....you can pull the hoses and check yourself to be sure! So...you can cap off the front nipple, since RUN will provide fuel directly to the carbs when bypassing the Octy...No Prime needed, Run=Prime!

Inline filters are a good thing(Xcept according the PGGG ), keeps tank debris from getting into the carbs and possibly wedging the float valve open=leaking into engine/oil IF/when you forget to turn OFF the fuel petcocks. Some folks have put an extra ON/OFF valve inline just in case the petcocks leak, but if your float valves are in good working order, shouldn't be a problem! YMMV!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

whats the advantage? ?

are there petocks that fit in special tanks that have only one nipple?
                Last edited by Eddie Gravy; 07-01-2007, 11:34 AM.
                One of a kind SF

Comment

Hey Ed,

No advantage really, just a different designed petcock system for the Special and that's why it needed the Octy. The Standard petcocks are already vacuum controlled, so no Octy valve needed.

I got a petcock from PNM(from Mason actually), but it requires a special adapter plate and or some filing of the gas tank petcock opening to allow proper fit!?

Easier just to cap off the extra nipple!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm - nipples!!
                    Si Parker
                    '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Working...
                    X