Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 78 XS11 special?

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLa...4a/3c7e_18.JPG

Just wondering if this is actually a Special, as I don't see a special listed for 1978 in the serial number listings...

This one is for sale, near me, for $1200.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

I may be wrong but I believe that Yamaha didn't come out with the special until 1979.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

That's what I thought.

I have an 80G right now that is pretty hurting. Am looking for one that I can fix up, using the parts off of mine. If most stuff from the 80 would fit this, it may be worth my looking into.

I thought maybe this one was a '79, and the guy doesn't know how to read the s/n tag, but other than the sidecover tag, it deosn't look like a special.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Not Special

Forks, tank, pipes are wrong.
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

Tank was the one that caught my eye. That I've never heard of a '78 Special...

However, with the wierd (aftermarket?) seat, w/o the plastic fender parts, it was hard to tell.

I think the pipes look like slip on mufflers/stk headpipes or an aftermarket system?

I have the fairing, bags, trunk and carrier, as well as the rest of the bike, with a wore out engine. If this guy would come down a bit, I may pick it up and use mine for parts.

I've sent the advertiser an email asking for more details.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Specials didnt come out till '79. This one looks like a standard with special side covers. Everything else looks wrong for a special.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Standard

That is a 78E or79F standard with square gas tank with recessed gas cap, square turn signals and square headlight all the specials had round turn signals and headlights, gas cap on specials sit on top of tank.
              Thanks Tom
              82 XJ DAILY RIDE
              78 XS1100E FIXING UP
              79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
              79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
              80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
              82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

The bracket behind the drivers pegs are different with some models/years. I don't have my bikes in front of me, but I was thinking that the bottom of the bracket would be more horizontal with the 78. I wonder why you can't see the Brain box on the rear fender? If the seat is not flat across the bottom but is more angular and upswept, it is not a 78 (or 79?) satandard. I had an 81 seat on a 78 once and you could see the frame tube towards the rear. Get the vin number so you can know for sure, and find out if the engine vin and frame vin match at all (because the bike seems to be a morphadite).
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Ask for the VIN, that'll reveal the model year.
                  1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Some people look at the build date on the ID tag and assume the bike is that model year. Actually, the model year is generally the year after the build date. A '79 will have a build date of '78, but most assuredly it is a '79 model year.

Yamaha, and I assume most other manufactures, have the bikes built - or nearly so - by the time of the model introduction. Units have been shipped to dealers. The only way to do this is, of course, build the bikes in advance of the intro date. Hence the build date and model year are different, with model year generally being 1 year later than the build year.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Actually what happens is that the start of the new model year for most vehicles is the end of August. This means that any bike or car made after Aug is the following model year, and up to august, the current mdel year.

This allows the manufacturers to have enough on hand when the new year rolls around.

'05 ST1300

Comment

It's a Standard

Hi crazcnuk,
                        square gauges, big tank, straight forks, normal calipers, Standard for sure.
                        Buy it! I need the gas tank. I know a guy might want the TCI box. I'll be on two rallies in Alberta 13th thru 21st July.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Saw a 650 on those boards for $2900. WTF?!? Are those Canadian dollars?
                          1981 XS1100SH

Comment

The guy already sold it, for $1000 (CDN) .

Have to keep looking, I guess.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
                            X