I had to giggle today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to giggle today....

....the past year, I've been doing pretty much what I want with my girl (take things off, put things on, hit the starter & spin the engine over, etc....) But NOW, its like my girl has suddenly become a teen and hit puberty. I gota be a little careful about what I do or Something May Happen.

Well, I hope Something Does Happen tomorrow (outside), but not today in the garage. If I would make all that smoke in the garage, my wife would move out of the house for a couple of days as the smell would get into the house.

I have a battery out of our RV charged up and I'll hook it in parallel to the MC battery to help it out for the afternoon. When I spun the engine over with plugs in the holes the other day, it didn't seem like the MC battery had much "omph" left ( have no idea what its history or age is). I have a new one on the way but it isn't here yet.

I was playing with the gas tank today and noticed that the low gas level light isn't working. I shorted out the pins in the connector by the tank and the light itself works. I'll worry about the float in the tank later.

I have a little wire investigation to do. A wire from the Vetter harness is listed as an accessory line. It is hanging loose so I need to find a +12 switched line somewhere. I'm going to hook up an LED based volt meter and I'll mount it somewhere on the faring. There are enough little details to give me some things to do after I get the engine running.

Tomorrow will be an XSessively exciting day.

Eric
    Eric Roellig
    1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
    **Very first bike**
    Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Hey Eric,

Sounds like you may have an Xsively fun day! But just an FYI, the Special doesn't have a float mechanism in the tank. It has something like a Thermistor, when kept cool it keeps the circuit open, but once the fuel level drops below it, it warms up and completes the circuit lighting the RED EYE!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC. I'll see what happens once I get the tank in place for good.

Eric
      Eric Roellig
      1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
      **Very first bike**
      Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

Eric when I put my special back together I had the same issue. Shorting the bike side leads to the tank sender out should turn the light on. The manual gives you a restiance value for the tank sending unit in ohms. If it checks out run with it. Mine had to have some fuel run thru it and used up befor it started working right. As the fuel level goes down the lite will come on dim at fist until the sender heats up. Then it will come on hard as the sender is fully uncovered by the low fuel level. With the short legs these specials have that light has kept me from pushing a couple of times.

Dave
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
        81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
        82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
        X