my xj1100.....still having problems!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my xj1100.....still having problems!

hello all im new to this so this may sound dumb. 1 month ago i got this xj1100. the previous owner dumped it and trashed the stator cover and master cylinder for the front brake. that was on mothers day of this year. we had to jump the bike from the battery past the fuse box for it to run before i bought it. since then i have replaced those parts and this bike still wont run. the battery is charged i have traced the wires checking for plugs that may have been pulled loose nothing. i even replaced the fuses or should i say fuse. im the 4th owner and someone wired the lights and signals to run off the ignition. this is my first project bike and would really appreciate any help anyone can give me so i can ride

thanks fish

Hey there Fishbone,

Welcome, and we'll try to get you feeling more like you're back in the water!

Okay, if you'll go to the MAIN FORUM PAGE, you'll find several sections...Forums for tech tips, maintanence, repairs, mods, and misc, and LINKS! There are wiring diagram links in the links section. There was an online service manual for the XJ recently posted, a simple search for "online manual" in the Tech Disc. Forum will reveal it!

There should be a master fuse that is separate from the regular fuse block fuses, on the left side of the bike under the seat/left side cover area in single or dual holder, can look more like a sealed rubber connector than a fuse holder! Check it!

Also, there is a tip over cut out switch under the gastank just over the ignition coils labelled UPPER, can unplug it to bypass it! There are also other safety cutout switches like the sidestand switch and the clutch lever switch. Also, the kill switch on the right control could be damaged from the spill, or just corroded, take it apart and inspect, clean.

Would be best to separate the lights and signals from the Ignition circuit because the TCI needs at least 10 volts to work properly, and if it gets too low, won't fire! Plus the turn signals draw the most current....they had a 20 amp fuse, the other circuits were only 10 and 15 amp! The wiring diagram should help you figure the wires out and get it rewired properly!
    Also, check and clean ALL of the other electrical connectors, can go a long way in eliminating gremlins! There are grounds for the battery as well as other one for the engine to frame just in front of and beneath the battery!

Then post back more specific info on the no start symptoms, ie., does it turn over, but no spark, or not even turn over?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

welcome to the group.

The XJ has a few circuits not found in the XS. Two circuits specifically are designed to keep the XJ from starting.

First one is a side stand switch. Designed to keep you from riding off with the kickstand down. This switch is no longer available from Yamaha as a replacment part. Wire from it has 3 connectors and connects to the main wiring harness just behind the tank. I would unplug the switch and connect all 3 bike-side connectors together. This makes the circuit think the stand is always in the up position and will allow the bike to start if this circuit is the culprit. Be aware this will also allow you to put the bike in gear and drive off with the kickstand down, which some of us have done over the course of our riding careers. It is dangerous.

Second circuit is in the clutch lever assembly. Note there are 2 wires that go into the casting; there is a little pin switch in there. Idea was to keep you from starting the engine if the transmission was in gear and the clutch lever released. Work around is to track the 2-wire cable into the headlight bucket, unplug the cable, and put a jumper across the bike-side connector. This makes the circuit think the clutch lever is pulled in, and allows the bike to start.

However, I don't think your problem is in either of these circuts, although the side stand switch is a known problem. If the bike will start and run by jumping past the fuse block your problem is with the block. There is a Search tab at the top of your message screen, type in fuse block replacement and look at the many, many posts on this topic. Going by your description, I would consider the fuse block a must-replace item. It will cause you all kinds of grief until you get a working block in place.

It is very common for a block to look good and yet be bad; the fingers that hold the glass fuses simply loose the ability to conduct electricity.

I'm also not quite sure what you mean when you say the lights and turn signals were re-wired to run off the ignition. Stock, the XJ's lights will come on when you turn on the ignition, even if the bike is not running. If the battery is good you should have working left and right turn signals, 4-way flashers (switch is down low on the right grip), high and low beam headlight, brake light, and horns. If any of these things do not work then you have wiring issues, perhaps as simple as a bad ground connection, but everything should work with the switch on. If these thing only work with the bike running, then someone has changed the wiring.

I would change the fuse block ASAP before trying to track down other electrical gremlins. You mentioned your replaced 1 fuse like there was only 1 there; I can't remember all of them, but there should be 4 or 5 in addition to an Accessory fuse.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress! Don't get frustrated; we have all been there and can offer suggestions and encouragment. Let us know what you try and the results, as this may help narrow down the problems to a specific area.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

safety switches galore

Some of my safety switches are disabled and some are not . While my goal is to restore things to original working order , I do what I must to ride and try to remember kickstands down and to pull in the clutch upon starting - like in the old days
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

still having problems

hello all, still having problems with this pos i replaced the wiring harness the old one when i took it off had water running out of it.
          i think i have something hooked up wrong i replaced the fuse box wtih a 6 way blade type. getting power to the fuses and starter. i have even disconnected the tipover switch but still no power this new harness has plugs where mine had once had them and i dont know where they go to. this whole ordeal is making me feel stupid i even downloaded the service manual. and the wiring diagram is like greek to me. can some one please help to get this thing running before i get to the point to put it in the paper to get rid of it. thanx fish

Comment

Hey Fishbone,

Check out THIS MEMBERS IN TENNESSEE thread, and drop them a PM or post a public request for personal assistance in the Member's Lounge, and you're very likely to get someone willing to come by to lend a hand!

With replacing your wiring harness, it's very hard to troubleshoot by Internet, and a laying on of hands may be more beneficial!?
            T.C.

Also, if you'll go to the Yamaha Online Parts Fiche Site and select Motorcycle, then 82, and then XJ1100J, then go to Electrical, you can see a diagram of the frame and harness, and the various things that plug into it in approximate locations, but not sure how helpful it will be?
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
            X