New brake lines short

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New brake lines short

Hello XS and X11 owners. I am new to this forum and look forward to receiving and reading all kinds of info. The 1979 XS 1100 Special I have is the first new bike I ever purchased. At present I also ride an FJR 1300 (06). Quite a bit of difference in the machines but I like both. I have a question. I recently purchased a set of galfer SS hoses to replace the old ones. I see that they run off the master cylinder also replacing the single hose to the union in between the forks. The problem I'm having is that any way I route then they seem to be about 2 inches too short. I may have ordered the P/N for the XS 1100 Std/touring type bike. Does anyone know if there is a length difference in the brake lines between a Std 1100 and a Special 1100? Please let me know.

Mooseman
    79 SF

Hey Mooseman,

Congrats and welcome! The Special lines will need to be longer due to the greater pullback length of the buckhorn bars!

However, many folks have replaced the OEM bars with other styles due to the uncomfortable position the buckhorns put your wrists in! SO...if you decide to do that, you may choose some that don't pull back as far giving you more clearance with the shorter lines.....IF you can't return them for an exchange!

Another option I did a while back when I had put on 4" extended upper tubes on my forks was that I loosened the Y fitting from the fork/triple tree and that let me have some more slack, may provide you with same?? JAT!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response topcat. It's sort of what I figured.
      I have galfers 800 number and I'll check to see about an exchange on Monday.

Mooseman
      79 SF

Comment

Working...
      X