countershaft washer placement???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• countershaft washer placement???

I'm cleaning and inspecting a trans assy that I'm going to swap into my bike. I lost track of things and cant remember where this washer goes. It is a large (about 1.5" id) thick with a bevel on one face. I know it goes on the 1st gear end of the shaft but not positive, or if the bevel faces a certain direction. Anyone know off hand??

Thanx!
    Ron Evans
    79 xs11sf
    99 kawasaki ninja 250 (70mpg)!

Im about 6K miles from my manual at the moment, but I believe the washer goes next to the second gear wheel. There is a bevel on it because it was on the "back" side of the gear, to give the dogs more to hold on with.
    Check the "Tech Tips" from the MAIN XS11.com page, and you will see the diagrams.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Think I figured it out. I had been looking at the 79 exploded view and it did not show it but the 81 does. It looks like it is a spacer that fits in the case where the middle drive end of the shaft fits in. Is there in fact a spacer on some models thas holds the bearing toward the inside of the engine about 3/16 inch?
      Ron Evans
      79 xs11sf

Comment

Hey Rob,

Now I remember something about that. GNEPIG posted about shimming up the countershaft, and there's also a note in the SERVICE data or Tech bulletin on the Yamaha Parts site on the 81 series xs11's about that. The later years bikes used a smaller width bearing IIRC, and so the washer was needed to shim it into the same space in the engine case!

A search for GNEPIG and countershaft would probably find it!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanx TC,
          Thats why I asked, wasn't sure if all would be the same when I tear mine apart. I'll be sure to compare these parts closely.
          Ron Evans
          79 xs11sf

Comment

Working...
          X