Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back cutting gears - 4th gear wheel

Hello,
    I have a new 4th gear wheel that has the 3rd gear dogs factory back cut. The 1st gear dogs are not tapered like the 3rd gear side, they taper down as they travel towards gear center. Should they taper from dog top to base where they join the gear unit or is the V taper towards center doing the job?

Thanks,
    1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Hey Guys,
    Gonna send the gears to the machine shop. What angle should each side be cut at? 3* on the dog and 3* on the cog or is that to much?

Thanks,

Comment

3* should be good. Did you look at the "Tech Tips" from the main page, and check out the mods? You can get a LOT of information from there.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

back cutting

I did the 2nd/ 5th back cutting by eye and it was much steeper than 3* no problems after @ 17,000 miles
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock
        80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Hey Nemisus,

I don't remember seeing your 6-18-07 post? Because the dogs and slots only engage just so far is probably why they are only undercut/backcut just so far down on the dogs and not all the way to the gear body!

Secondly, a little DOH moment for you.....you stated you had the 3rd and it was already undercut. You already have an example that you could take to the machine shop to have them copy....the taper on 3rd gear! But like Chop said, we did ours by just eyeballing, and are holding quite well.
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Lol Good point TC. It was late and I missed that one for sure.
            I did a quick measurement and I got about 4.5* of taper on the 3rd gear dogs (2.25* per face). I guess 3* was close. That would have given me 6* of wedgeing force when the slot and dog met.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
            X