float adjusment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float adjusment

Well just finished adjusting the floats on my carbs with the exception of number four i set the levels on the floats at 25.7mm
    hope this is okay waiting on new pilot jets rejetting carbs to match the 4 into 1 exhuast and the k&n filter moved the clip on te needle one notch installed 145 mains will be putting 45 pilot jets when then get here from mikes xs just have one problem i have one floats that sounds like it has water it i can shake it and it sounds like it does but nothing comes out how can i confrim this having trouble finding one float dont want to put a plastic one in it and the rest metal if one of the carb wizards can help please advice me
    4/78 xs1100 standard
    Pacifico fairing 4 into one exhaust

new name :black Knight

I am but a student in this world of xsive masters

145 main jets & 45 pilot jets, if the needle clip is dropped a notch - raising the needle, you might find you're too rich at mid/low revs, even with free flow filter and 4-1, I'd set the needle at the centre notch for the first run. Drop the dodgy brass float in hot water , check for bubbles

Comment

Hey Utah,

IT's probably not water but fuel inside the float. You'll want to put it in the sun for a few hours to heat it and help it evaporate out of it. Then like MRO said, put it in almost boiling water and check for bubbles which you will probably find. You can solder it, but has been suggested to put the float on a bed of ice to help keep the air from expanding too quickly while applying the hot solder which can blow the solder away from the float surface/hole!

Now just thinking out loud here. Folks have used JB Weld to fix float posts, is supposed to be impervious to fuel, so wondered why you couldn't use a little dab of it to seal the float instead of trying to hot solder it?? Any comments from the GURU's?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
      X